Dynamic contact model of shell for multibody system applications
- 231 Downloads
In a multibody system consisting of shell structures, the contact may appear in any area of shells. It is difficult to simulate the contact of shells with large deformation because of the geometric nonlinearity of deformation and the boundary nonlinearity of contact. This study presents a rotation-free shell formulation and an extended contact discretization in multibody systems using a corotational frame. This model is different from previous formulations in the definition of the local frame and the processing of local large curvature. In order to deal with the shell contact, a unified contact discretization scheme including edge-to-edge contact for facet triangle shell elements is proposed to solve the large penetration problem. A series of numerical examples of multibody dynamics have validated the approach of the nonlinear shell model and contact treatments. Moreover, a practical application of deployment of solar cells shows the capability of the proposed formulation in solving large-scale problems of flexible multibody system with large deformation and contact.
KeywordsShell contact Corotational formulation Rotation-free element Geometric nonlinearity Flexible multibody dynamics
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 11772188, No. 11132007), for which the authors are grateful.
- 1.ABAQUS: ABAQUS Theory Guide. Dassault Systèmes, Providence, RI, USA (2017) Google Scholar
- 2.ABAQUS: ABAQUS Users’s Guide Volume V: Prescribed Conditions, Constraint & Interactions. Dassault Systèmes, Providence, RI, USA (2017) Google Scholar
- 8.Eberhard, P., Hu, B.: Advanced Contact Dynamics. Southeast University Press, Nanjing (2003) Google Scholar
- 9.Felippa, C.A., Haugen, B.: A unified formulation of small-strain corotational finite elements: I. Theory. In: Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (2005) Google Scholar
- 14.Hallquist, J.O.: LS-DYNA Theory manual. March (2006) Google Scholar
- 21.LS-DYNA: LS-DYNA keyword user’s manual volume I. Livermore Software Technology Corporation, Livermore, California (2017) Google Scholar
- 25.Moller, T.: Fast triangle-triangle intersection test. Doktorsavh. Chalmers Tek. Högsk. 1425, 123–129 (1998) Google Scholar
- 44.Zhou, Y.X., Sze, K.: An Efficient Rotation-Free Triangle and its Application in Cloth Simulations. Ph.D. thesis, The University of Hong Kong (2013) Google Scholar