Large-scale rigid body simulations
- 186 Downloads
For decades, rigid body dynamics has been used in several active research fields to simulate the behavior of completely undeformable, rigid bodies. Due to the focus of the simulations to either high physical accuracy or real time environments, the state-of-the-art algorithms cannot be used in excess of several thousand to several ten thousand rigid bodies. Either the complexity of the algorithms would result in infeasible runtimes, or the simulation could no longer satisfy the real time aspects.
In this paper, we present a novel approach for massively parallel rigid body dynamics simulations. The presented algorithm enables rigid body simulations of more than one billion interacting rigid bodies on massively parallel supercomputers. We describe in detail the setup of large-scale rigid body simulations, the parallel rigid body algorithm and its communication infrastructure, and analyze the performance of the parallel algorithm by means of a particular simulation scenario.
KeywordsRigid body dynamics Parallel algorithms Parallel programming Parallel frameworks Massively parallel Large-scale MPI Parallelization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Homepage of the Leibnitz Computing Center Munich: http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/hlrb/hardware/hardware.html
- 2.Homepage of the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE): http://www.ode.org/
- 3.Homepage of the OpenTissue simulation framework: http://www.opentissue.org
- 6.Eberly, D.: Game Physics. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (2003) Google Scholar
- 7.Erleben, K., Sporring, J., Henriksen, K.: Physics-Based Animation. Delmar, 2005 Google Scholar
- 9.Griebel, M., Knapek, S., Zumbusch, G.: Numerical Simulation in Molecular Dynamics. Springer, Berlin (2008) Google Scholar
- 10.Gropp, W., Skjellum, A., Lusk, E.: Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message Passing Interface. 2nd edn. MIT Press, Cambridge (1999) Google Scholar
- 14.Millington, I.: Game Physics Engine Development. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (2007) Google Scholar
- 15.Preclik, T.: Iterative rigid multibody dynamics. Diploma thesis, Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10: Systemsimulation. Computer Science Department 10 (System Simulation), University of Erlangen-Nuremberg (2008) Google Scholar
- 17.Tasora, A., Negrut, D., Anitescu, M.: Large-scale parallel multi-body dynamics with frictional contact on the graphical processing unit Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part K, J. Multi-Body Dyn. 222(4), 315–326 (2008) Google Scholar
- 18.Wengenroth, H.: Rigid body collisions. Master’s thesis, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10: Systemsimulation. Computer Science Department 10 (System Simulation), University of Erlangen-Nuremberg (2007) Google Scholar