An Integrated Runge–Kutta Root Finding Method for Reliable Collision Detection in Multibody Systems
- 211 Downloads
Described in this paper is an integrated approach for reliable detection of state events occurring during numerical integration of the equations of motion of multibody systems. The method combines an explicit Runge–Kutta 4/5 Dormand scheme with continuous dense output extension with a polynomial root detection algorithm warranting root detection for large time steps enclosing several roots. The method is implemented in C++ and integrated within an object-oriented code for simulation of the equations of motion of mechanical systems including collisions. Numerical comparisons with standard methods are shown for a number of test examples, displaying the robustness of the method.
Keywordsevents impacts integration mechanical systems polynomials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Park, T. and Barton, P.I., ‘State event location in differential-algebraic models’, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation (TOMACS) 6(2), 1996, 137–165.Google Scholar
- 4.Esposito, J.M., Kumar, V. and Pappas, G.J., ‘Accurate event detection for simulating hybrid systems’, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2034, 2001, 204–217.Google Scholar
- 9.Radhakrishnan, K. and Hindmarsh, A.C., ‘Description and Use of LSODE, the Livermore Solver for Ordinary Differential Equations’, Technical Report UCRL-ID-113855, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, December 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.Dormand, J.R., Numerical Methods for Differential Equations. CRC Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.Isaacson, E. and Keller, H.B., Analysis of Numerical Methods, Wiley, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- 13.Knuth, D.E., The Art of Computer Programming. Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Second edition, 1981.Google Scholar
- 15.Kecskeméthy, A. and Lange, C., ‘Solving impact interactions using the regularized model approach’, In Proceedings of the Tenth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Vol 4, Oulu, Finland, June 20–24, 1999, 1361–1366, IFToMM.Google Scholar
- 16.Kecskeméthy, A., Lange, C. and Grabner, G., ‘Object-oriented modeling of multibody dynamics including impacts’, in Proceedings of the European Conference on Computational Mechanics, Cracow, Poland, June 26–29, 2001, 1–28, ECCM.Google Scholar
- 17.Kecskeméthy, A., Objektorientierte Modellierung der Dynamik von Mehrkörpersystemen mit Hilfe von Übertragungselementen. Number 88 in Fortschritt-Berichte VDI, Reihe 20. VDI Verlag GmbH, Düsseldorf, 1993.Google Scholar