Enhanced image similarity analysis system in digital pathology
- 230 Downloads
In digital pathology, image similarity algorithms are used to find cancer in tissue cells from medical images. However, it is very difficult to apply image similarity algorithms used in general purpose system. Because in the medical field, accuracy and reliability must be perfect when looking for cancer cells by using image similarity techniques to pathology images. To cope with this problem, this paper proposes an efficient similar image search algorithm for digital pathology by applying leveling and tiling scheme on OpenSlide format. Furthermore, we apply image sync method to extract feature key points during image similarity processing. In the experiment, to prove the efficiency of the proposed system, we conduct several experiments including algorithm performance, algorithm accuracy and computation time. The experiments result shows that the proposed system efficiently retrieves similar cell images from pathology images.
KeywordsOpenSlide Leveling Tiling Image similarity Image sync
This research was supported by Hallym University Research Fund 2015(H20150684) and this research was also supported by The Leading Human Resource Training Program of Regional Neo industry through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT and future Planning (2016H1D5A1910630).
- 2.Corvee E, Bremond F (2010) Body parts detection for people tracking using trees of histogram of oriented gradient descriptors. Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), 2010 Seventh IEEE International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 7.Karatzanis I et al (2014) A collaborative central reviewing platform for cancer detection in digital microscopy images. In: Silico Oncology and Cancer Investigation (IARWISOCI), 2014 6th International advanced research workshop on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 8.Miksik O, Mikolajczyk K (2012) Evaluation of local detectors and descriptors for fast feature matching. Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2012 21st International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rosten E, Drummond T (2006) Machine learning for high-speed corner detection. Computer Vision–ECCV 2006. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp 430–443Google Scholar
- 13.Rublee E et al (2011) ORB: an efficient alternative to SIFT or SURF. Computer Vision (ICCV), 2011 I.E. International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 14.Shi J et al (2013) Pathological Retrieval for Breast Cancer with pLSA Model. Image and Graphics (ICIG), 2013 Seventh International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 15.Xu G et al (2011) Real-time pedestrian detection based on edge factor and Histogram of Oriented Gradient. Information and Automation (ICIA), 2011 I.E. International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhang Y, Jia Z, Chen T (2011) Image retrieval with geometry-preserving visual phrases. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2011 I.E. Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zheng Y et al (2014) Retrieval of pathology image for breast cancer using PLSA model based on texture and pathological features. Image Processing (ICIP), 2014 I.E. International Conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar