Accelerating compute intensive medical imaging segmentation algorithms using hybrid CPU-GPU implementations
- 479 Downloads
Medical image processing is one of the most famous image processing fields in this era. This fame comes because of the big revolution in information technology that is used to diagnose many illnesses and saves patients lives. There are many image processing techniques used in this field, such as image reconstructing, image segmentation and many more. Image segmentation is a mandatory step in many image processing based diagnosis procedures. Many segmentation algorithms use clustering approach. In this paper, we focus on Fuzzy C-Means based segmentation algorithms because of the segmentation accuracy they provide. In many cases, these algorithms need long execution times. In this paper, we accelerate the execution time of these algorithms using Graphics Process Unit (GPU) capabilities. We achieve performance enhancement by up to 8.9x without compromising the segmentation accuracy.
KeywordsFuzzy C-Means Possibilistic C-Means CUDA Medical image processing Image segmentation
This work is supported by the Jordan University of Science and Technology Deanship of Research project number 20150310.
- 1.Cudafy.net (2015). https://cudafy.codeplex.com/
- 4.Alawneh K, Al-dwiekat M, Alsmirat M, Al-Ayyoub M (2015) Computer-aided diagnosis of lumbar disc herniation. In: 6th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS). IEEE, pp 286–291Google Scholar
- 6.Cook S (2012) CUDA programming: a developer’s guide to parallel computing with GPUs NewnesGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lee VW, Kim C, Chhugani J, Deisher M, Kim D, Nguyen AD, Satish N, Smelyanskiy M, Chennupaty S, Hammarlund P, Singhal R, Dubey P (2010) Debunking the 100x gpu vs. cpu myth: An evaluation of throughput computing on cpu and gpu. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture, ISCA ’10. ACM, NY, USA, pp 451–460. doi: 10.1145/1815961.1816021
- 14.Pan L, Gu L, Xu J (2008) Implementation of medical image segmentation in cuda. In: 2008 International Conference on Information Technology and Applications in Biomedicine. IEEE, pp 82–85Google Scholar
- 16.Rhee FCH, Hwang C (2001) A type-2 fuzzy c-means. Clustering Algorithm 4:1926–1929Google Scholar
- 17.Rowińska Z, Gocławski J (2012) Cuda based fuzzy c-means acceleration for the segmentation of images with fungus grown in foam matrices. Image Process Commun 17(4):191–200Google Scholar
- 18.Rubio E, Castillo O (2014) Interval type-2 fuzzy clustering algorithm using the combination of the fuzzy and possibilistic c-mean algorithms. In: IEEE Conference on Norbert Wiener in the 21st Century (21CW). IEEE, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 19.Shehab MA, Al-Ayyoub M, Jararweh Y (2015) Improving fcm and t2fcm algorithms performance using gpus for medical images segmentation. In: 6th International Conference on Information and Communication Systems (ICICS). IEEE, pp 130–135Google Scholar
- 22.Tang J (2010) A color image segmentation algorithm based on region growing. In: 2nd international conference on Computer engineering and technology (iccet), vol 6. IEEE, pp V6–634Google Scholar
- 23.Walters JP, Balu V, Kompalli S, Chaudhary V (2009) Evaluating the use of gpus in liver image segmentation and hmmer database searches. In: IPDPS 2009. IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing. IEEE, pp 1–12Google Scholar