Coronal mass ejections (CMEs) are routinely identified in the images of the solar corona obtained by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) mission’s Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO) since 1996. The identified CMEs are measured and their basic attributes are cataloged in a data base known as the SOHO/LASCO CME Catalog. The Catalog also contains digital data, movies, and plots for each CME, so detailed scientific investigations can be performed on CMEs and the related phenomena such as flares, radio bursts, solar energetic particle events, and geomagnetic storms. This paper provides a brief description of the Catalog and summarizes the statistical properties of CMEs obtained using the Catalog. Data products relevant to space weather research and some CME issues that can be addressed using the Catalog are discussed. The URL of the Catalog is: http://cdaw.gsfc.nasa.gov/CME_list.
KeywordsCoronal mass ejections Flares Geomagnetic storms Solar energetic particle events
We thank the LASCO/EIT consortium and the SOHO team for their contribution in making this Catalog possible.
- N. Gopalswamy, A global picture of CMEs in the inner Heliosphere, in The Sun and the Heliosphere as an integrated system, ed. by G. Poletto, S. Suess (Kluwer, Boston, 2004), p. 201. Chapter 8Google Scholar
- N. Gopalswamy, H. Xie, S. Yashiro, I. Usoskin, Proceedings of the 29th International Cosmic Ray Conference. August 3–10, 2005, Pune, India. ed. by B. Sripathi Acharya, Sunil Gupta, P. Jagadeesan, Atul Jain, S. Karthikeyan, Samuel Morris, and Suresh Tonwar. Mumbai: Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, 2005. (2005d) Vol. 1, p.169Google Scholar
- N. Gopalswamy, S. Yashiro, S. Akiyama, Coronal mass ejections and space weather due to extreme events, in Recent Progress and Prospects, ed. by N. Gopalswamy, A. Bhattacharyya (Quest Publications, Mumbai, 2006), p. 79Google Scholar
- A. Vourlidas, D. Buzasi, R.A. Howard, E. Esfandiari, Mass and energy properties of LASCO CMEs, Solar variability: from core to outer frontiers, ed. by A. Wilson. ESA SP–506, vol.1 (ESA Publications Division, Noordwijk, 2002), p. 91 Google Scholar
- H. Xie, N. Gopalswamy, P.K. Manoharan, A. Lara, S. Yashiro, S. Lepri, Space Weather. 111, A01103 (2006)Google Scholar
- S. Yashiro, N. Gopalswamy, G. Michalek, O. C. St. Cyr, S·P. Plunkett, N·B. Rich, R.A. Howard, J. Geophys. Res. A07105 (2004)Google Scholar