Cloud-Integrated Cyber-Physical Systems for Complex Industrial Applications
- 1.7k Downloads
Recently, with many advances in wireless sensor networks, big data, mobile and cloud computing, Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) can tightly couple cyber space with the physical world better than ever before. Also, the cloud-based systems can provide massive storage resources and low-cost computing as well as the flexibility of customizing the operating environment to Complex Industrial Applications (CIA). In our view, Cloud-integrated CPS (CCPS) will open the door to allow previously unachievable application scenarios to be built, deployed, managed and controlled effectively. In this paper, we propose a novel architecture of CCPS (termed CCPSA) and outline the enabling technologies for CIA. Then, we dissect three potential challenges and provide solutions from the perspective of CIA, including virtualized resource management techniques, the scheduling of cloud resources, and life cycle management. We hope this paper can provide insight and a roadmap for future research efforts in the emerging field of CCPS.
KeywordsCyber-physical systems Cloud computing Industrial wireless networks Complex industrial applications Big data
This work is partially supported by National Natural Science Foundations of China (Nos. 61572220, 61262013, 51575194, 61472283 and 61103185), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Nos. 2015ZZ079, 2013KJ034, 2100219043 and 1600219246), the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province, China (No. 2015A030313746), the Fok Ying-Tong Education Foundation, China (Grant No. 142006), and the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry.
- 1.Wang S, Wan J, Li D, Zhang C (2015) Implementing smart factory of industrie 4.0: an outlook. Int J Distrib Sensor Netw, 2015, Article ID 681806, 10 pages. DOI: 10.1155/2015/681806.
- 2.Wan J, Zhang D, Zhao S, Yang L T, Lloret J (2014) Context-aware vehicular cyber-physical systems with cloud support: architecture, challenges and solutions. IEEE Commun Mag 52(8):106–113Google Scholar
- 4.Banerjee A, Venkatasubramanian K, Mukherjee T, Gupta S (2012) Ensuring safety, security, and sustainability of mission-critical cyber-physical systems. Proc of the IEEE 100(1):283–299Google Scholar
- 5.Rajhans A, Bhave A, Ruchkin I, Krogh BH, Garlan D, Platzer A, Schmerl B (2014) Supporting Heterogeneity in Cyber-Physical Systems Architectures. IEEE Trans Autom Control 59(12):3178–3193Google Scholar
- 7.Chen F, Deng P, Wan J, Zhang D, Vasilakos A, Rong X (2015) Data Mining for the Internet of Things: Literature Review and Challenges. Int J Distrib Sensor Netw, 2015, Article ID 431047, 14 pages. DOI: 10.1155/2015/431047.
- 15.Liu Q, Wan J, Zhou K (2014) Cloud manufacturing service system for industrial-cluster-oriented application. Journal Internet Technology 15(3):373–380Google Scholar
- 16.Zhang D, Wan J, Liu Q, Guan X, Liang X (2012) A taxonomy of agent technologies for ubiquitous computing environments. KSII Trans Internet Infor Syst 6(2):547–565Google Scholar
- 23.Drath R, Horch A (2014) Industrie 4. 0: Hit or Hype? IEEE Ind Electron Mag 8(2):56–58Google Scholar
- 27.Z. Shu, D. Li, Y. Hu, F. Ye and J. Wan. From models to code: automatic development process for embedded control system. Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Network, Sensor and Control, Shanya, China, pp. 660–665, 2008.Google Scholar
- 29.J. Wan and D. Li. Fuzzy feedback scheduling algorithm based on output jitter in resource-constrained embedded systems. Proc. of Int. Conf. on Challenges in Environmental Science and Computer Engineering, Wuhan, China, pp. 457–460, Mar. 2010.Google Scholar
- 30.CIWA (Chinese Industrial Wireless Alliance). WIA-PA. [Online]. Available: http://www.industrialwireless.cn/.
- 31.J. Liu, Q. Wang, J. Wan and J. Xiong. Towards Real-time Indoor Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks. In Proc. of the 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer and Information Technology, Chengdu, China, October, 2012, pp. 877-884.Google Scholar
- 33.Tian W, Zhao Y (Oct. 2014) Optimized cloud resource management and scheduling: theories and practices. Elsevier/Morgan Kaufmann, PublisherGoogle Scholar
- 35.H. Suo, Z. Liu, J. Wan and K. Zhou. Security and Privacy in Mobile Cloud Computing. Proc. of the 9th IEEE Int. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conf., Cagliari, Italy, Jul. 2013.Google Scholar
- 37.Yuan W, Deng P, Taleb T, Wan J, Bi C (2015) An Unlicensed Taxi Identification Model based on Big Data Analysis. IEEE Trans Intell Transp Syst. doi: 10.1109/TITS.2015.2498180
- 38.I. King, J. Li and K. T. Chan. A brief survey of computational approaches in social computing. Neural networks, IEEE-INNS-ENNS International Joint Conference on, pp. 1625–1632, Jun. 2009.Google Scholar
- 39.FaceBook, [Online]. Available: http://www.facebook.com.
- 41.H. Yan, J. Wan, D. Li, Y. Tu and P. Zhang. Code sign of Networked Control Systems: A Review from Different Perspectives. Proc. of IEEE Intl Conf. on Cyber Technology in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems, Kunming, China, pp. 84–90, Mar. 2011.Google Scholar
- 42.Giunta G, Montella R, Agrillo G, Coviello GA (2010) GPGPU transparent virtualization component for high performance computing clouds. In: In Euro-Par 2010-Parallel Processing. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 379–391Google Scholar
- 43.Liu S (2006) and Y. Li. Grey Information, Theory and Practical Applications. Springer Science & Business MediaGoogle Scholar