The expression of HIF-1α in primary hepatocellular carcinoma and its correlation with radiotherapy response and clinical outcome
- 308 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between hypoxia-inducible factor-1α (HIF-1α) protein expression in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and responses of abdominal metastatic lymph nodes (LNs) from HCC patients treated with external beam radiotherapy (EBRT). HIF-1α immunohistochemical staining was performed on tissue microarrays (TMAs) of primary HCC specimens from 69 HCC patients with abdominal LN metastases. All patients received abdominal metastatic LN EBRT at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Zhongshan Hospital. A receiver-operating characteristic (ROC)-based approach and logistical regression analysis were used to determine the predictive value of HIF-1α expression in primary tumors with HCC metastatic LN EBRT response. Kaplan–Meier curves and log-rank tests were used to analyze patient survival. Cox proportional hazards regression model was used to analyze independent prognostic factors. HIF-1α expression was correlated with blood hemoglobin (Hb: r = −0.280, P = 0.020), response of abdominal metastatic LNs to EBRT (r = 0.286, P = 0.017), locoregional recurrence (r = 0.278, P = 0.021), and cancer-specific deaths (r = 0.298, P = 0.013). HIF-1α expression was predictive of EBRT response of metastatic LNs [area under the curve (AUC): 0.646; 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.499–0.793; P = 0.047], locoregional recurrence (AUC: 0.657; 95% CI: 0.509–0.805; P = 0.049) and cancer-specific deaths (AUC: 0.671; 95% CI: 0.531–0.812; P = 0.035). Patients with tumors exhibiting high HIF-1α expression had significantly poorer overall survival (OS) than those with low tumor expression of HIF-1α (P = 0.016). Multivariate analysis showed that Hb (P = 0.035), vascular invasion (P = 0.026), Child-Pugh score (P < 0.001), intrahepatic tumor control (P < 0.001), and HIF-1α (P = 0.020) were independent prognosis factors for OS of HCC patients after receiving abdominal metastatic LN EBRT. HIF-1α expression in primary HCCs was associated with EBRT response of abdominal metastatic LNs and poor prognosis.
KeywordsAbdominal lymph nodes External beam radiotherapy Hepatocellular carcinoma Immunohistochemistry Tissue microarray
Supported by Grant No. 30973500 from the National Natural Science Foundation of China and Youth Science Foundation of Zhongshan Hospital.
Conflict of interest
- 4.Zeng ZC, Tang ZY, Fan J, Qin LX, Ye SL, Zhou J, Sun HC, Wang BL, Wang JH (2005) Consideration of role of radiotherapy for lymph node metastases in patients with HCC: retrospective analysis for prognostic factors from 125 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:1067–1076PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Koukourakis MI, Giatromanolaki A, Sivridis E, Simopoulos C, Turley H, Talks K, Gatter KC, Harris AL (2002) Hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF1A and HIF2A), angiogenesis, and chemoradiotherapy outcome of squamous cell head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 53:1192–1202PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Schrijvers ML, van der Laan BF, de Bock GH, Pattje WJ, Mastik MF, Menkema L, Langendijk JA, Kluin PM, Schuuring E, van der Wal JE (2008) Overexpression of intrinsic hypoxia markers HIF1alpha and CA-IX predict for local recurrence in stage T1–T2 glottic laryngeal carcinoma treated with radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:161–169PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ye QH, Qin LX, Forgues M, He P, Kim JW, Peng AC, Simon R, Li Y, Robles AI, Chen Y, Ma ZC, Wu ZQ, Ye SL, Liu YK, Tang ZY, Wang XW (2003) Predicting hepatitis B virus-positive metastatic hepatocellular carcinomas using gene expression profiling and supervised machine learning. Nat Med 9:416–423PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Qian YB, Zhang JB, Wu WZ, Fang HB, Jia WD, Zhuang PY, Zhang BH, Pan Q, Xu Y, Wang L, Tang ZY, Sun HC (2006) P48 is a predictive marker for outcome of postoperative interferon-alpha treatment in patients with hepatitis B virus infection-related hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer 107:1562–1569PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kurokawa T, Miyamoto M, Kato K, Cho Y, Kawarada Y, Hida Y, Shinohara T, Itoh T, Okushiba S, Kondo S, Katoh H (2003) Overexpression of hypoxia-inducible-factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma correlates with lymph node metastasis and pathologic stage. Br J Cancer 89:1042–1047PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nordsmark M, Bentzen SM, Rudat V, Brizel D, Lartigau E, Stadler P, Becker A, Adam M, Molls M, Dunst J, Terris DJ, Overgaard J (2005) Prognostic value of tumor oxygenation in 397 head and neck tumors after primary radiation therapy: an international multi-center study. Radiother Oncol 77:18–24PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar