Population data for 17 short tandem repeat loci on Y chromosome in northern Croatia
- 163 Downloads
Human Y-short tandem repeats (STRs) are tandem repeat arrays of two to seven base pair units on non-recombining region (NRY) of the human Y chromosome. Studies on Y-STR are interesting in both population genetics and forensics. The aim of this study was to investigate the population genetic properties of 17 STR loci on Y chromosome in the northern Croatia region. We carried out a statistical analysis of the data from previously performed genetic analysis collected during routine forensic work by the Forensic Science Centre “Ivan Vučetić”. A total of 220 unrelated healthy men from northern Croatia were selected for the purpose of this study. Genomic DNA was extracted using Chelex procedure from FTA® cards. Y-chromosomal STRs were determined using the AmpFISTR Yfiler PCR amplification kit. The haplotype frequencies were determined by direct counting and analyzed using Arlequin 3.1 and analysis of molecular variance calculated with the Y chromosome haplotype reference database online analysis tool. A total of 210 haplotypes were identified, 200 of which were unique. Total haplotype diversity was 0.995. Locus diversity varied from 0.331 for DYS392 to 0.783 for DYS385 locus. Allele frequencies diversity was 0.662. Discrimination capacity was 95.7%. The use of European minimal haplotype set indicated the most resemblance of this population to the Croatian capital of Zagreb, with modest resemblance to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Hungary. This article provides the first overview of the Y chromosome STR variability in northern Croatia, thus providing the referent point for any future forensic and genetic epidemiology efforts in this region.
KeywordsY chromosome Short tandem repeat Population genetics Haplotypes Northern Croatia
This study was funded by the Ministry of Interior. The authors thank Sunčica Papić and Marija Valić for technical support.
- 4.Butler JM (2005) Forensic DNA typing. Biology, technology and genetics of STR markers, 2nd edn. Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, MAGoogle Scholar
- 5.Butler JM (2003) Recent developments in Y-short tandem repeat and Y-single nucleotide polymorphism analysis. Forensic Sci Rev 15:91–111Google Scholar
- 10.Gusmão L, Butler JM, Carracedo A, Gill P, Kayser M, Mayr WR, Morling N, Prinz M, Roewer L, Tyler-Smith C, DNA Schneider PM Commission of the International Society of Forensic Genetics (2006) DNA Commission of the International Society of Forensic Genetics (ISFG): an update of the recommendations on the use of Y-STRs in forensic analysis. Forensic Sci Int 157(2–3):187–197. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2005.04.002 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ballard DJ, Phillips C, Wright G, Thacker CR, Robson C, Revoir AP, Court DS (2005) A study of mutation rates and the characterization of intermediate, null and duplicated alleles for 13 Y chromosome STRs. Forensic Sci Int 155(1):65–70. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2004.12.012 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Myres NM, Ritchie KH, Lin AA, Hughes RH, Woodward SR, Underhill PA (2009) Y-chromosome short tandem repeat intermediate variant alleles DYS392.2, DYS449.2 and DYS385.2 delineate new phylogenetic substructure in human Y-chromosome haplogroup tree. Croat Med J 50(3):239–249. doi: 10.3325/cmj.2009.50.239 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Marjanovic D, Fornarino S, Montagna S, Primorac D, Hadziselimovic R, Vidovic S, Pojskic N, Battaglia V, Achilli A, Drobnic K, Andjelinovic S, Torroni A, Santachiara Benerecetti AS, Semino O (2005) The peopling of modern Bosnia-Herzegovina: Y-chromosome haplogroups in the three main ethnic groups. Ann Hum Genet 69(Pt 6):757–763PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Veselinovic IS, Zgonjanin DM, Maletin MP, Stojkovic O, Djurendic-Brenesel M, Vukovic RM, Tasic MM (2008) Allele frequencies and population data for 17 Y-chromosome STR loci in a Serbian population sample from Vojvodina province. Forensic Sci Int 176(2–3):e23–e28. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2007.04.003 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Roewer L, Croucher PJP, Willuweit S, Lu TT, Kayser M, Lessig R, De Knijff P, Jobling MA, Tyler Smith C, Krawczak M (2005) Signature of recent historical events in the European Y-chromosomal STR haplotype distribution. Hum Genet 116(4):279–291. doi: 10.1007/s00439-004-1201-z PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar