Development and application of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification method on rapid detection Escherichia coli O157 strains from food samples
- 1.1k Downloads
We developed and evaluated the specificity and sensitivity of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method for rapid detection of the food-borne Escherichia coli O157 strains. Six primers, including outer primers, inner primers and loop primers, were specially designed for recognizing eight distinct sequences on three targets, which were rfbE, stx1 and stx2. The detection limits were found to be 100, 100 and 10 fg DNA/tube for rfbE, stx1 and stx2, respectively. Application of LAMP assays were performed on 417 food-borne E. coli strains, the sensitivity of LAMP assays for the rfbE, stx1 and stx2 was 100, 95.3 and 96.3%, and the negative predictive value was 100, 96.7 and 97.1%, respectively; with a 100% specificity and positive predictive value for all three targets.
KeywordsLoop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) Escherichia coli O157 Rapid detection
This work was supported by Science Foundation of Ministry of Education of China(706046), National Natural Science Foundation of China (20436020) and State Scholarship Fund of China Scholarship Council (2008615044).
- 1.Baudouin V, Mariani-Kurkdjian P, Macher MA, Ait-Ifrane S, Garnier A, Bingen E, Loirat C, Deschenes G (2008) Treatment of a relapsing HUS secondary to prolonged carriage of E. coli O157: H7. Pediatr Nephrol 23:1599Google Scholar
- 4.Gehring AG, Tu SI (2005) Enzyme-linked immunomagnetic electrochemical detection of live Escherichia coli O157: H7 in apple juice. J Food Protect 68:146–149Google Scholar
- 6.Jung BY, Jung SC, Kweon CH (2005) Development of a rapid immunochromatographic strip for detection of Escherichia coli O157. J Food Protect 68:2140–2143Google Scholar
- 11.Organization, World Health (2007) Food safety and foodborne illness. Available via DIALOG. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs237/en/print.html
- 12.Parida M, Horioke K, Ishida H, Dash PK, Saxena P, Jana AM, Islam MA, Inoue S, Hosaka N, Morita K (2005) Rapid detection and differentiation of dengue virus serotypes by a real-time reverse transcription-loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay. J Clin Microbiol 43:2895–2903CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rasekh J, Thaler AM, Engeljohn DL, Pihkala NH (2005) Food safety and inspection service policy for control of poultry contaminated by digestive tract contents: a review. J Appl Poult Res 14:603–611Google Scholar