Physical mapping of NBS-coding resistance genes to the Me-gene cluster on chromosome P9 reveals markers tightly linked to the N gene for root-knot nematode resistance in pepper
- 484 Downloads
Natural root-knot nematode resistance genes are unique resources to control this major pest in pepper (Capsicum annuum). Although four genes (Me1, Me3, Me7 and N) conferring broad-spectrum resistance were mapped to a cluster in a 28-cm interval on chromosome P9, limited markers targeting this region were available. In the present study, the Me-gene cluster was structurally annotated for resistance genes to develop markers targeting the N gene. As a result, the Me-gene cluster (4.07 Mb in size) was found to contain three resistance gene hotspots. In addition, a SSR maker tightly linked to the N gene (0.8 cM away) was developed for marker-assisted selection in pepper.
KeywordsCapsicum annuum Genome annotation Meloidogyne spp. Marker-assisted selection (MAS)
This study was supported by grant 110O675 from the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK).
IC analyzed all data, performed all bioinformatics analysis and laboratory experiments and drafted manuscript; MAS performed all nematode tests; EO developed mapping populations; SD designed the study; AF designed the study, received funding and revised manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Ameline-Torregrosa C, Wang BB, O’Bleness MS, Deshpande S, Zhu H, Roe B, Young ND, Cannon SB (2008) Identification and characterization of nucleotide-binding site-leucine-rich repeat genes in the model plant Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiol 146:5–21. doi: 10.1104/pp.107.104588 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Djian-Caporalino C, Pijarowski L, Januel A, Lefebvre V, Daubèze A, Palloix A, Dalmasso A, Abad P (1999) Spectrum of resistance to root-knot nematodes and inheritance of heat-stable resistance in pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). Theor Appl Genet 99:496–502. doi: 10.1007/s001220051262 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Djian-Caporalino C, Fazari A, Arguel MJ, Vernie T, VandeCasteele C, Faure I, Brunoud G, Pijarowski L, Palloix A, Lefebvre V, Abad P (2007) Root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne spp.) Me resistance genes in pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) are clustered on the P9 chromosome. Theor Appl Genet 114(3):473–486. doi: 10.1007/s00122-006-0447-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fazari A, Palloix A, Wang L, Yan Hua M, Sage-Palloix AM, Zhang BX, Djian-Caporalino C (2012) The root-knot nematode resistance N-gene co-localizes in the Me-genes cluster on the pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) P9 chromosome. Plant Breed 131(5):665–673. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0523.2012.01994.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mazourek M, Cirulli ET, Collier SM, Landry LG, Kang B-C, Quirin EA, Bradeen JM, Moffett P, Jahn MM (2009) The fractionated orthology of Bs2 and Rx/Gpa2 supports shared synteny of disease resistance in the Solanaceae. Genetics 182:1351–1364. doi: 10.1534/genetics.109.101022 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ooijen JW, Voorrips RE (2001) JoinMap Version 3.0: software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. CPRO-DLO, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Trudgill DL, Phillips MS (1997) Nematode population dynamics, threshold levels and estimation of crop losses. In: Maqbool MA (ed) Plant nematode problems and their control in the near east region (FAO Plant Production and Protection Paper, No. 144), RomeGoogle Scholar
- Van Gundy S, McKenry MV (2012) Action of nematicides. In: Horsfall JG (ed) Plant disease: an advanced treatise, 1st edn. Elsevier, pp 263–283Google Scholar