Expressed sequence tag-derived microsatellite markers of perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.)
An expressed sequence tag (EST) library of the key grassland species perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) has been exploited as a resource for microsatellite marker development. Out of 955 simple sequence repeat (SSR) containing ESTs, 744 were used for primer design. Primer amplification was tested in eight genotypes of L. perenne and L. multiflorum representing (grand-) parents of four mapping populations and resulted in 464 successfully amplified EST-SSRs. Three hundred and six primer pairs successfully amplified products in the mapping population VrnA derived from two of the eight genotypes included in the original screening and revealed SSR polymorphisms for 143 ESTs. Here, we report on 464 EST-derived SSR primer sequences of perennial ryegrass established in laboratory assays, providing a dedicated tool for marker assisted breeding and comparative mapping within and among forage and turf grasses.
KeywordsComparative mapping Expressed sequence tag (EST) Ryegrass (Lolium spp.) Simple sequence repeat (SSR)
- Asp T, Frei UK, Didion T, Nielsen KK, Lübberstedt T (2007) Frequency, type, and distribution of EST-SSRs from three genotypes of Lolium perenne, and their conservation across orthologous sequences of Festuca arundinacea, Brachypodium distachyon, and Oryza sativa. BMC Plant Biol 7:36PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Barre P, Mi F, Balfourier F, Ghesquière M (2000) QTLs for morphogenetic traits and sensitivity to rusts in Lolium perenne. In: Spangenberg GC (ed) Proceedings of the second international symposium on molecular breeding of forage crops. Lorne and Hamilton, VIC, Australia, 60 ppGoogle Scholar
- Faville MJ, Vecchies AC, Schreiber M, Drayton MC, Hughes LJ, Jones ES, Guthridge KM, Smith KF, Sawbridge T, Spangenberg GC, Bryan GT, Forster JW (2004) Functionally associated molecular genetic marker map construction in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.). Theor Appl Genet 110:12–32PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roldán-Ruiz I, Van Eeuwijk FA, Gilliland TJ, Dubreuil P, Dillmann C, Lallemand J, De Loose M, Baril CP (2001) A comparative study of molecular and morphological methods of describing relationships between perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) varieties. Theor Appl Genet 103:1138–1150CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rozen S, Skaletsky HJ (2000) Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: Krawetz S, Misener S (eds) Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, pp 365–386Google Scholar