A Novel STS Marker for Polyphenol Oxidase Activity in Bread Wheat
- 524 Downloads
The enzyme activity of polyphenol oxidase (PPO) in grain has been related to undersirable brown discoloration of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) based end-products, particularly for Asian noodles. Breeding wheat cultivars with low PPO activity is the best approach to reduce the undesirable darkening. Molecular markers could greatly improve selection efficiency in breeding programs. Based on the sequences of PPO genes (GenBank Accession Numbers AY596268, AY596269 and AY596270) conditioning PPO activity during kernel development, 28 pairs of primers were designed using the software ‘DNAMAN’. One of the markers from AY596268, designated as PPO18, can amplify a 685-bp and an 876-bp fragment in the cultivars with high and low PPO activity, respectively. The difference of 191-bp size was detected in the intron region of the PPO gene. The STS marker PPO18 was mapped to chromosome 2AL using a DH population derived from a cross Zhongyou 9507× CA9632, a set of nulli-tetrasomic lines and ditelosomic line 2AS of Chinese Spring. QTL analysis indicated that the PPO gene co-segregated with the STS marker PPO18 and is closely linked to Xgwm312 and Xgwm294 on chromosome 2AL, explaining 28–43% of phenotypic variance for PPO activity across three environments. A total of 233 Chinese wheat cultivars and advanced lines were used to validate the correlation between the polymorphic fragments of PPO18 and grain PPO activity. The results showed that PPO18 is a co-dominant, efficient and reliable molecular marker for PPO activity and can be used in wheat breeding programs targeted for noodle quality improvement.
KeywordsBread wheat Marker-assisted selection Polyphenol oxidase activity STS marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexei, F., Scott, R., Larisa, F., Walter, G. 2003Mystery of intron gainGenome Res.1322362241Google Scholar
- Anderson, J.V., Morris, C.F. 2001An improved whole-seed assay for screening wheat germplasm for polyphenol oxidase activityCrop Sci.4116971705Google Scholar
- Anderson, J.V., Morris, C.F. 2003Purification and analysis of wheat grain polyphenol oxidase (PPO) proteinCereal Chem.80135143Google Scholar
- Anderson J.V. 2004. Triticum aestivum polyphenol oxidase (PPO) mRNA: GenBank Accession Number AY515506 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/).
- Baik, B.K., Czuchajowska, Z., Pomeranz, Y. 1995Discoloration of dough for oriential noodlesCereal Chem.72198205Google Scholar
- Bryan, G.J., Stephenson, P., Collins, A., Kirby, J., Smith, J.B., Gale, M.D. 1999Low levels of DNA sequence variation among adapted genotypes of hexaploid wheatTheor. Appl. Genet.99192198Google Scholar
- Bucheli, C.S., Dry, I.B., Robinson, S.M. 1996Isolation of a full-length cDNA encoding polyphenol oxidase from sugarcanea C4 grassPlant Mol. Biol.312331238Google Scholar
- Crosbie G.B., Solah V.A., Chiu P. and Lambe W.J. 1996. Selection for improved color stability in noodles. In: Wrigley C.W.(ed.), Proc. Aust. Cereal Chem. Conf., 46thSydney, Royal Australian Chem. Inst., North MelbourneVIC, Australia pp. 120–122.Google Scholar
- Demeke, T., Morris, C.F. 2002Molecular characterization of wheat polyphenol oxidase (PPO). TheorAppl. Genet.104813818Google Scholar
- Doyle, J.J., Doyle, J.L. 1987A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissuePhytochem. Bull.191115Google Scholar
- Ge, X.X., He, Z.H., Yang, J., Zhang, Q.J. 2003Polyphenol oxidase activities of Chinese winter wheat cultivars and correlations with quality characteristicsActa Agron. Sin.29481485Google Scholar
- Hatcher, D.W., Symons, S.J., Kruger, J.E. 1999Measurement of time-dependent appearance of discolored spots in alkaline noodles by image analysisCereal Chem.76189194Google Scholar
- Jukanti, A.K., Bruckner, P.L., Fischer, A.M. 2004Evaluation of wheat polyphenol oxidase genesCereal Chem.81481485Google Scholar
- Kruger, J.E., Matsuo, R.R., Preston, K. 1992A comparison of methods for the prediction of Cantonese noodle colourCan. J. Plant Sci.7210211029Google Scholar
- Kruger, J.E., Anderson, M.H., Dexter, J.E. 1994aEffect of flour refinement on raw Cantonese noodle color and textureCereal Chem.71177182Google Scholar
- Kruger, J.E., Hatcher, D.W., DePauw, R. 1994bA whole seed assay for polyphenol oxidase in Canadian prairie spring wheats and its usefulness as a measure of noodle darkeningCereal Chem.71324326Google Scholar
- Mares, D.J., Campbell, A.W. 2001Mapping components of flour and noodle colour in Australian wheatAus. J. Agric. Res.5212971309Google Scholar
- Miskelly, D.M. 1996
The use of alkaline for noodle processingKruger, J.E.Matsuo, R.B.Dick, J.W. eds. Pasta and Noodle TechnologyAmerican Assoc., Cereal ChemistsSt. Paul., MN227273Google Scholar
- Morris, C.F., Jeffers, H.C., Engle, D.A. 2000Effect of processing, formula and measurement variables on alkaline noodle color – toward an optimized laboratory systemCereal Chem.777785Google Scholar
- Nagao, S., et al. 1996
Processing technology of noodle products in JapanKruger, J.E. eds. Pasta and Noodle TechnologyAmerican Assoc., Cereal ChemistsSt. Paul., MN169194Google Scholar
- Park, W.J., Shelton, D.R., Peterson, C.J., Martin, T.J., Kachman, S.D., Wehling, R.L. 1997Variation in polyphenol oxidase activity and quality characteristics among hard white wheat and hard red winter wheat samplesCereal Chem.74711Google Scholar
- Raman R., Raman H., Allen H., Martin P., Lisle C., Johnstone K. and Oliver J. 2004. Physical mapping and validation of polyphenol oxidase gene in wheat using in Silico comparative mapping approach. In: Cereals 2004, Proceedings of 54th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference and 11th Wheat Breeder Assembly, pp. 238–241.Google Scholar
- Udall, J. 1997Important alleles for noodle quality in winter wheat as identified by molecular markersUniversity of IdahoMoscow, IDM.S. ThesisGoogle Scholar
- Wang S.C., Basten C.J. and Zeng Z.B. 2004. Windows QTL cartographer 2.0: analyzing genetic agriculture of quantitative traits. (http://statgen.ncsu.edu/qtlcart/WQTLCart.htm).
- Xing, J.W., Shuai, S.R. 2002Amplification and sequence analysis of pig growth hormone (PGH) geneJ. Southwest Agric. Univ.24182185Google Scholar
- Zhang, L.P., Ge, X.X., He, Z.H., Wang, D.S., Yan, J., Xia, X.C., Sutherland, M.W. 2005Mapping QTLs for polyphenol oxidase activity in a DH population from common wheatActa Agron. Sin.31710Google Scholar