SSR Markers Closely Linked to the Pi-z Locus are Useful for Selection of Blast Resistance in a Broad Array of Rice Germplasm
- 331 Downloads
Pi-z is a disease resistance gene that has been effectively used to combat a broad-spectrum of races of the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Although DNA markers have been reported for selection of the Pi2(t) and Pi-z resistance genes at the Pi-z locus, markers that are more tightly linked to the Pi-z locus would benefit rapid and effective cultivar development. Analysis of the publicly available genome sequence of Nipponbare near the Pi-z locus revealed numerous SSRs that could be converted into markers. Three SSRs on rice PAC AP005659 were found to be very tightly linked to the Pi-z locus, with one marker, AP5659-3, co-segregating with the Pi-z resistance reaction. The Pi-z factor conferring resistance to two races of blast was mapped to a 57 kb region on the physical map of Nipponbare in a location where the Pi2(t) gene was physically mapped. Two SSR marker haplotypes were unique for cultivars carrying the Pi-z gene, which indicates these markers are useful for selection of resistance genes at the Pi-z locus in rice germplasm.
Key wordsMagnaporthe grisea Marker assisted selection Microsatellite Oryza sativa
simple sequence repeat
bacterial/P1-derived artificial chromosome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Inukai, T., Nelson, R.J., Ziegler, R.S., Sarkarung, S., Mackill, D.J., Bonman, J.M., Takamure, I., Kinoshita, T. 1994Allelism of blast resistance genes in near-isogenic lines of ricePhytopathology8412781283Google Scholar
- Kiyosawa, S. 1967The inheritance of resistance of the Zenith type varieties of rice to the blast fungusJap. J. Breed.1799107Google Scholar
- Liu, G., Lu, G., Zeng, L., Wang, G.-L. 2002Two broad-spectrum blast resistance genes, Pi9(t)Pi2(t)are physically linked on rice chromosome 6Mol. Genet. Genom.267472480Google Scholar
- Marchetti, M.A., Lai, X., Bollich, C.N. 1987Inheritance of resistance to Pyricularia oryzae in rice cultivars grown in the United StatesPhytopathology77799804Google Scholar
- McClung, A.M. 2002Techniques for development of new cultivarsSmith, C.W.Dilday, R.H. eds. Rice: Origin, History, Technology and ProductionJohn Wiley & SonsHoboken, NJ177202Google Scholar
- Rozen, S., Skaletsky, H.J. 2000Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmersKrawetz, S.Misener, S. eds. Bioinformatics Methods and Protocols: Methods in Molecular BiologyHumana PressTotowaNJ365386Google Scholar
- Temnykh, S., DeClerck, G., Lukashova, A., Lipovich, L., Cartinhour, S., McCouch, S. 2001Computational and experimental analysis of microsatellites in rice (Oryza sativa L.): frequency, length variation, transposon associations, and genetic marker potentialGenome Res.1114411452CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, B., Qu, S., Liu, G., Dolan, M., Sakai, H., Bellizzi, M., Han, B., Wang, G.-L. 2004Functional and evolutional analysis of the Pi2 blast resistance gene clusterProc. Plant & Animal Genome Conf. XIISan DiegoCA399Google Scholar