Moisture Sorption of Epoxy Composites Reinforced with Aligned and Notched Triangular Bars
- 85 Downloads
Moisture diffusion in acid anhydride-cured epoxy matrices reinforced with aligned and notched triangular bars has been investigated. The reinforcing bars were first treated with molded and cured vinyl ester resin before their manual assembling. Gravimetric experiments were performed on epoxy composites fully immersed in water at 80°C for 1200 h. Weight uptake curves showed that the composites had suffered limited material degradation after an initial stage of moisture sorption; another sorption stage was observed after this degradation phase. Based on the initial sorption stage, the moisture diffusion behavior in composites is found to be independent of the orientation and alignment of reinforcing bars. This result is confirmed by transient 3D finite-element simulations. The numerical results are in close agreement with experimental data for the initial sorption stage.
Keywordspolymer composite notched triangular bar diffusion finite-element simulation moisture sorption
- 4.E. L. Cussler, “Diffusion barriers,” Diffusion Fundamentals, 6, 72.1-72.12 (2007).Google Scholar
- 9.B. B. Pajarito, M. Kubouchi, and S. Aoki, “Investigation of water diffusion in triangular bar-reinforced composites,” Adv. Compos. Lett., 21, No. 6, 137-144 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.B. B. Pajarito, M. Kubouchi, and S. Aoki, “Modeling anisotropic water transport in polymer composite reinforced with aligned triangular bars,” Bull. Mater. Sci., Advance online publication, http://www.ias.ac.in/matersci/forth.html.
- 15.Y. W. Kwon and H. Bang, The Finite Element Method Using Matlab, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, Florida (2000).Google Scholar
- 16.J. Crank, The Mathematics of Diffusion, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1975).Google Scholar
- 23.B. B. Pajarito, M. Kubouchi, H. Tomita, and S. Aoki, “Microstructural dependency of diffusion in glass flake-reinforced vinyl ester resins,” AJChE, 12, No. 1, 11-19 (2012).Google Scholar
- 24.B. B. Pajarito, M. Kubouchi, H. Tomita, and T. Sakai, “Absorption and wet retention of flexural properties of E-glass flake/epoxy composites under corrosive environment,” Mater. Sci. Tech. Jpn., 49, No. 1, 32-38 (2012).Google Scholar