Bond-slip behavior of CFRP plate-concrete interface
- 184 Downloads
The paper deals with evaluation of the bond performance between a CFRP plate and concrete with respect to various compressive strengths of concrete and bond lengths of the CFRP plate as parameters. To consider stress conditions in the tensile zone of reinforced concrete (RC) structures, double-lap axial tension tests were conducted for eight specimens with CFRP plates bonded to concrete prisms. In addition, a simple linear bond-slip model for the CFRP plate/concrete joints, developed from the bond tests, was used. To verify the model proposed, a total of seven RC beams were strengthened with CFRP plates and tested in flexure employing various bond lengths, strengthening methods, and numbers of CFRP plates. A nonlinear finite-element analysis, with the bond–slip model incorporated in the DIANA program, was performed for the strengthened RC beams. Also, the results of flexural test and analytical predictions are found to be in close agreement in terms of yield and ultimate loads and ductility.
KeywordsCFRP plate bond-slip finite-element analysis ductility
This work was supported by the Postdoctoral Research Program of Sungkyunkwan University (2011).
- 2.B. Andersson and B. Spett, “Concrete beams strengthened with CFRP – a study of anchorage lengths,” Master Thesis 2002:217 CIV, Div. of Struct Eng, Luleå University of Technology, ISSN 1402–1617.Google Scholar
- 5.R. N. Swamy and P. Mukhopadhyaya, “Debonding of carbon-fibre reinforced polymer plate from concrete beams,” Proc. Inst. Civil Eng.-Struct. Build., 134, 301–317 (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. N. Ziraba, M. H. Baluch, A. M. Basunbul, I. A. Sharif, A. K. Azad, and G. J. Al-Sulaimani, “Guidelines towards the design of reinforced concrete beams with external plates,” ACI Struct. J., 91, No. 6, 639–646 (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Nakaba, T. Kanakubo, T. Furuta, and H. Yoshizawa, “Bond behaviour between fiber-reinforced polymer laminates and concrete,” ACI Struct. J., 98, No. 3, 359–367 (2001).Google Scholar
- 11.X. Lu, J. Jiang, J. Teng, and L. Ye, “Finite element simulation of debonding in FRP-to-concrete bonded joints,” Compos. Struct., 20, No. 6, 412–424 (2006).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Yang, Behaviour of RC Flexural member strengthened by a CFRP Plate Considering the Interfacial Bond, PhD Thesis, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Eng., Sungkyunkwan University (2005).Google Scholar