Reconstruction of The Structure of the Electrophysical Parameters of Multilayer Dielectric Materials and Coatings from The Frequency Dependence of the Attenuation Coefficient of the Field of a Surface Electromagnetic Wave
- 2 Downloads
A new radio-wave method of reconstruction of the relative permittivities and thicknesses of multilayer materials and coatings is proposed. The method is based on the solution of inverse problems in the reconstructionof the structure of the electrophysical parameters of special multilayer materials and coatings from the frequency dependence of the attenuation coefficient of the field of a slow surface electromagnetic wave. The principal differences of the new method from well-known radio wave methods of determining the electrophysical parameters of multilayer materials are demonstrated. In contrast to methods that involve an informative parameter – the complex reflection coefficient – the proposed method yields an increase in the precision and reliability of the reconstruction of the structure of the relative permittivitties and thicknesses. Improved precision and reliability is achieved by taking into account the linear dependence of the attenuation coefficient on frequency as well as reducing the number of fixed measurement frequencies. The results of experimental studies that confirm the linear dependence of the attenuation coefficient of the field of a surface electromagnetic wave on frequency as well as a decrease in the number of fixed measurement frequencies are presented. The method implements a simple measurement procedure, since only the values of the field strength of the surface electromagnetic wave are measured and there is no need for phase measurements in the method. Reconstruction of the permittivity of a three-layer coating consisting of polymethyl methacrylate, F-4D PTFE, and semi-hard rubber with precision acceptable for practical applications is realized with the use of experimental results of measurements in a multifrequency measurement complex in the range 9–10 GHz by means of the new method. Experimental investigations of a multilayer dielectric coating demonstrated the theoretical capabilities gained with measurement of the relative permittivity and thickness of the individual layers with relative error not greater than 8 and 6%, respectively.
Keywordsmultilayer dielectric coating radio wave method inverse problem measurement attenuation coefficient of field slow surface electromagnetic wave permittivity transverse resonance method
- 1.V. F. Borul’ko, O. O. Drobakhin, and I. V. Slavin, Microwave Multifrequency Nondestructive Methods of Measuring the Parameters of Laminar Dielectrics, Izd. DGU, Dnepropetrovsk (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.M. I. Finkel’shtein (ed.), Subsurface Radar Location, Radio i Svyaz, Moscow (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Belyaev, O. E. Kir’yanov, and V. A. Pon’kin, Radio Location, Antenna, and Radiophysical Measurements, Nauch. Kniga, Voronezh (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.P. A. Fedyunin and A. I. Kaz’min, Methods of Radio Wave Inspection of the Parameters of the Protective Coatings of Aircraft, Fizmatgiz, Moscow (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.P. A. Fediunin, A. I. Fesenko, and A. I. Kaz’min, “Theoretical evaluation of the use of electromagnetic surface waves in diagnostics of the state of dielectric and magneto-dielectric coatings,” Radiotekhnika, 2, 30–39 (2009).Google Scholar
- 8.V. V. Klyuev (ed.), Nondestructive Testing and Diagostics: Handbook, Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Mikhnev, “Reconstruction of distribution profi le of permittivity of sheet materials by means of irregular waves,” Defektoskopiya, No. 4, 56–62 (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.L. B. Felsen and N. Markuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1978), Vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Valerio, D. R. Jackson, and A. Galli, Proc. Roy. Soc., 466, 2447–2469 (2010), DOI: org/ https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2009.0664.
- 15.L. M. Brekhovskikh, Waves in Laminar Media, Nauka, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 16.A. I. Kaz’min, V. A. Manin, P. A. Fedyunin, and D. P. Fedyunin, Patent Nо. 2594761 RF, IPC G01N 22/02, G01R 27/26, “UHF device for measurement of electrophysical parameters and the detection of irregularities in dielectric and metal-dielectric coatings on metal,” Izobret. Polezn. Modeli, No. 23 (2016).Google Scholar
- 17.P. A Fedyunin, A. I. Kaz’min, and V. A. Manin, “UHF method of flaw detection of radio-absorbing coatings and a device for its implementation,” Kontrol. Diagnost., Nо. 11, 32–39 (2017), DOI: https://doi.org/10.14489/td.2017.11.pp.032-039.