A Device for Mechanical Testing of Elements of Micro- and Nanosystems
- 7 Downloads
For the mechanical testing of elements of micro- and nanosystems, we propose a device based on an electrodynamic actuator, which creates regulated forces within the range 10–3–1 N. The minimum recorded change in the geometry of a specimen under the load is equal to 0.3 μm. The actuator can be used for tensile, bending, compression, and fatigue tests of the specimens. By using the actuator, we can find the mechanical characteristics of thin films, wires, and microbeams whose length varies from several micrometers to several millimeters. The accessibility of the actuator and its zero stiffness simplify the procedure of measurements.
Keywordsmicrosystems nanosystems microtension thin fi lms microbeams mechanical properties actuator
The present work was carried out within the framework of State Assignment No. 007-00018-16-02 of the Russian Federal Agency of Scientific Organizations.
- 1.T. Tsuchiya, Reliability of MEMS: Testing of Materials and Devices, Wiley, New York (2008), Vol. 6.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Rigo, J. M. Desmarres, T. Masri, and J. A. Petit, “Measurement of the residual stresses of the handing structures used in MEMS,” in: Design, Test, Integration, and Packaging of MEMS/MOEMS 2002, Cannes, France, May 5–8, 2002, Proc. SPIE (2002), pp. 704–713.Google Scholar
- 3.T. P. Weihs, S. Hong, J. C. Bravman, and W. D. Nix, “Mechanical deflection of cantilever microbeams: A new technique for testing the mechanical properties of thin films,” J. Mater. Res., No. 3, 931–942 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Liu, H. Wang, X. Li, G. Ding, and C. Yang, “A microtensile method for measuring mechanical properties of MEMS materials,” J. Micromech. Microeng., 18 (065002) (2008), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/18/6/065002.
- 5.S. G. Richard and R. P. Jon, “Prototype cantilevers for SI-traceable nanonewton force calibration, ”Meas. Sci. Technol., No.17, 2852–2860 (2006).Google Scholar
- 6.I. V. Uvarov, O. V. Morozov, I. A. Kozin, A. V. Postnikov, I. I. Amirov, and V. A. Kal’nov, “Dynamic characteristics of the sensitive element of a microaccelerometer with elevated damping factor,” Nano-Microsist. Tekhn., No. 12, 38–40 (2011).Google Scholar