An Alternative Set of Defining Constants for Use in Redefining the Four Units of the International System of Units
- 45 Downloads
Different sets of constants the fixed values of which may be selected for new definitions of the four units (kilogram, mole, ampere, and kelvin) of the International System of Units are discussed. The concept of the “order of a constant” in a given system of units is proposed. Criteria for arriving at an optimal selection of defining constants as well as a set of constants consisting of Planck’s constant h, Avogadro’s constant N A, Boltzmann’s constant k, and the magnetic permeability of a vacuum (magnetic constant) μ0 are considered. The proposed set is an alternative to the base set consisting of h, e, k, and N A.
Keywordsredefinition of the units of the International System of Units dimension of a physical quantity defining constant Planck’s constant Avogadro’s constant Boltzmann’s constant magnetic permeability of a vacuum magnetic constant
- 3.Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, www.bipm.org, acc. May 23, 2017.
- 4.SI Brochure: The International System of Units (SI) (2016), draft 9th ed., www.bipm.org.en/measurement-units/new-si/#communication, acc. May 23, 2017.
- 5.5. Resolution 2, Committee Internationale des Poids et Mesures (CIPM), www.bipm/org/en/CIPM/db/1946/2.
- 6.I. M. Mills, P. J. Mohr, T. J. Quinn, et. al., “Redefinition of the kilogram, ampere, kelvin, and mole: a proposed approach to implementing CIPM recommendation 1,” Metrologia, 43, 227–246 (2006).Google Scholar
- 9.N. Fletcher, R. S. Davis, M. Stock, and M. J. T. Milton, “Modernizing the SI-implications of recent progress with the fundamental constants,” https://arxiv.org/abs/1510.08324.
- 10.C. A. Sanchez, B. M. Wood, R. G. Green, et. al., “A determination of Planck’s constant using the NRC watt balance,” Metrologia, 51, S5–S14 (2014).Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Azuma, P. Barat, G. Bartle, et. al., “Improved measurement results for the Avogadro constant using a 28Si-enriched crystal,” Metrologia, 52, 360–375 (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.C. A. Sanchez, B. M. Wood, R. G. Green, et. al., “Corrigendum to the 2014 NRC determination of Planck’s constant,” Metrologia, 52, L23–L23 (2015).Google Scholar
- 13.P. J. Mohr, D. B. Newell, and B. N. Taylor, “CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants 2014,” Rev. Mod. Phys., 88, 035009 (2016).Google Scholar
- 15.M. J. Duff, L. B. Okun, and G. Veneziano, “Trialogue on the number of fundamental constants,” JHEP, 03, No. 23, 2–30 (2002).Google Scholar
- 16.P. J. Mohr, “Defining units in the quantum based SI,” Metrologia, 49, 487–491 (2008).Google Scholar
- 17.V. N. Melnikov, “Gravitation and cosmology as key problems of the millennium,” A. Einstein Century Int. Conf., in: AIP Conf. Proc., No. 861, 109–127 (2006).Google Scholar
- 19.K. A. Bronnikov, V. D. Ivashchuk, M. I. Kalinin, et. al., “On the selection of fixed fundamental constants for the new defining units of SI,” Izmer. Tekhn., No. 8, 11–15 (2016).Google Scholar
- 20.K. A. Bronnikov, V. D. Ivashchuk, M. I. Kalinin, et. al., “On the new definitions of the base units of SI. Why the atomic kilogram is preferable,” Izmer. Tekhn., No. 1, 11–18 (2015).Google Scholar
- 21.F. Pavese, “The new SI and fundamental constants: different meanings assigned to the same data, and how to proceed from recommended numerical values to their stipulation and beyond,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.00857.
- 22.C. J. Borde, “Reforming the international system of units: on our way to redefine the base units solely from fundamental constants and beyond,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.01752.
- 23.P. Becker, P. de Bievre, K. Fujii, et. al., “Considerations on future redefinitions of the kilogram, the mole, and of other units,” Metrologia, 44, 1–14 (2007).Google Scholar
- 24.M. Stock and T. J.Witt, “CPEM round table discussion ‘Proposed changes to the SI’,” Metrologia, 43, 583–587 (2006).Google Scholar
- 26.V. D. Ivashchuk, L. K. Isaev, S. A. Kononogov, et. al., “Redefinition of the mole and the results of measurements of Avogadro’s constant by the method of crystalline silicon spheres,” Izmer. Tekhn., No. 7, 38–42 (2015).Google Scholar
- 27.V. V. Khrushchev, “On an optimal set of the fundamental physical constants with fixed values for the redefinition of the units of SI,” Izmer. Tekhn., No. 10, 3–8 (2011).Google Scholar
- 28.R. Bouchendira, P. Clade, S. Guellati-Khelifa, et. al., “State of the art in the determination of the fine structure of constant test of quantum electrodynamics and determination of h/mu,” Ann. Phys. (Berlin), 525, 484–492 (2013).Google Scholar
- 29.K. A. Bronnikov and S. A. Kononogov, “Possible variations of the fine structure constant α and their metrological significance,” Metrologia, 43. P, R1–R9 (2006).Google Scholar
- 30.Report of the 18th CCU Meeting, www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/CC/CCU/CCU18.pdf, acc. May 23, 2017.