Response to critics: how religious beliefs distort historical understanding
I thank the authors of these reviews for taking the time to read the book and write their critical comments. The historian George Sarton long ago wrote an important essay on how to write a book review in which he insists that “the reviewer should not be too self-centered” as a review “should describe and characterize not only the book in question, but also the subject with which it is dealing”. He also suggested many questions one should be raising before writing a review, such as “What is the author’s purpose? What does he try to prove?” (Sarton 1950, 149–158). Since most readers of Metascience have not (yet) read my book, reading the reviews of this symposium will not help them answer Sarton’s key questions. Hence, I must briefly recall my book’s structure. As a model, I will use a review of it published by one of the great experts of Galileo, Maurice Clavelin (author of The Natural Philosophy of Galileoand many other books on the seventeenth-century science). Clavelin opens his...
- Bourdieu, Pierre. 1991. Genesis and structure of the religious field. Comparative Social Research 13: 1–44.Google Scholar
- Clavelin, Maurice. 2018. Review of L’impossible dialogue. Revue d’histoire des sciences 71: 120–121.Google Scholar
- Davis, Nicolas. 2016., Hand of God? Scientific anatomy paper citing a ‘creator’ retracted after furore. The Guardian, 7 March. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/07/hand-of-god-scientific-plos-one-anatomy-paper-citing-a-creator-retracted-after-furore. Accessed 17 December 2018.
- Dick, Steven J. 1982. Plurality of worlds: The origins of the extraterrestrial life debate from Democritus to Kant. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Durkhein, Emile.1984. The division of labor in society. Translated by W.D. Halls. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Harrison, Peter. 2017. From Conflict to Dialogue and All the Way Back. Los Angeles Review of Books. https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/from-conflict-to-dialogue-and-all-the-way-back
- Horgan, John. 2006. The templeton foundation: A Skeptic’s take. Edge. 4 April 2006. https://www.edge.org/conversation/john_horgan-the-templeton-foundation-a-skeptics-take. Accessed 17 December 2018.
- Iliffe, Rob. 2017. Priest of nature. The religious worlds of Isaac Newton. Oxford: Oxford Universty Press.Google Scholar
- Ming-Jin, Liu, Cai-Hua Xiong, Le Xiong, and Xiao-Lin Huang. 2016. Biomechanical characteristics of hand coordination in grasping activities of daily living. PLOS One, https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/comment?id=10.1371/annotation/234ef7cc-d89a-4a9e-92d6-9070b175620d. Accessed 17 December 2018.
- Ohlers, R. Clinton. 2018. Review essay of the territories of science and religion. Fides et Historia 50: 85–93.Google Scholar
- Shea, William R. 2018. Review of science and religion, an impossible dialogue. Fides et Historia 50: 136–139.Google Scholar