Investigation of Solid Residues Obtained After Oxidized Nickel Ore Leaching
Leaching residues of oxidized nickel ores is studied. According to the results of chemical analysis, it is found that with 62% extraction of nickel into the solution residues contain, wt.%: 0.58 Ni, 0.016 Co, 14.35 Fe, 9.08 Mg, 1.96 Al, and 21.16 Si. With 89% extraction residues contain, wt.%: 0.26 Ni, 0.001 Co, 6.5 Fe, 9.12 Mg, 1.46 Al, and 26.45 Si. The grain size composition of leaching residues is studied. It is found that the amount of fine fraction (– 2.5 + 0 mm) in the residues with 89% extraction almost doubles compared with the initial ore, and the amount of coarse fraction (– 21.5 + 10 mm) is halved. X-ray phase and X-ray microanalysis methods are used in the work to study residues from leaching oxidized nickel ores (ONO). With extraction of 62% of nickel from ONO nickel is detected predominantly in talc, iron oxides, and siliceous iron oxides. Nickel is not detected in leaching residues with 89% recovery.
Keywordsoxidized nickel ore antigorite lizardite talc clinochlore nickel cobalt heap leaching jarosite quartz iron oxides
- 1.I. D. Reznik, G. P. Ermakov, and Ya. M. Shneerson, Nickel in 3 Vol., Vol. 2. Oxidation of Nickel Ores. Ore Properties. Pyrometallurgy and Hydrometallurgy of Oxidized Nickel Ores [in Russian], OOO Nauka Tekhnol., Moscow (2004).Google Scholar
- 2.A. P. Stavskii (editor), Mineral Raw material the Depths to Market, in 3 Vol. Vol. 2, Nonferrous Metals. Aluminum, Copper, Nickel, Tin, Lead, and Zinc [in Russian], Nauchnyi Mir, Moscow (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.Ural Nickel General Director: Nickel Production Soon to Cease [Electronic Source]; URL: http://www.metalinfo.ru/ru/news/94275 (access date 09.07.2018).
- 4.Rusnikel’ Discharges to the Street Thousands of Sverdlov and Chelyabinsk Workers [Electronic Source]; URL: http://pravdaurfo.ru/articles/149526-rusnikel-vykinul-na-ulicy-tysyachi-sverdlovchan-i (access date 04.20.2017).
- 5.I. I. Kalinichenko, V. V. Vaitner, A. S. Molodykh, and V. N. Shubin, RF Patent 2532871, МPК C22B 23/00, C22B 3/06. Method for Treating Oxidized Nickel Ores, Claim 04.23.2013; Publ. 11.10.2014. Bull. No. 31.Google Scholar
- 6.Ural Nickel. Development Path, Round Table Proceedings. UrFU, Ekaterinburg (2017).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Smirnov, Copper Hydrometallurgy [in Russian], Moscow (1947).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Barbaroux, G. Mercier, J. F. Blais, et al., “A new method for obtaining nickel from the hyper-accumulator plant Alyssum murale,” Separat. and Purific. Techn.,83. 57–65 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.B. D. Khalezov, P. Yu. Chuvashov, and N. A. Vatolin, “Study of lump leaching of oxidized nickel ores of the Serov deposit,” in: Proc. XVI Internat. Sci. Tech. Conf., Ekaterinburg (2011).Google Scholar
- 12.B. D. Khalezov, Lump Leaching of Copper and Copper-Nickel Ores [in Russian], Ekaterinburg (2013).Google Scholar
- 13.Cement [Electronic source]. URL: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A6%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%82 (access date 04.20.2017).
- 14.B. D. Khalezov, A. S. Gavrilov, S. A. Petrova, et al., “Lump leaching of oxidized nickel ores,” Metallurg., No. 1, 59–64 (2019).Google Scholar