Telmisartan attenuates hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in differentiated PC12 cells
The present study investigated the protective actions of telmisartan, an angiotensin II type 1 receptor blocker (ARBs), against the cell apoptosis induced by exposure to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in differentiated PC12 cells. Preincubation of PC12 cells with telmisartan prevented H2O2-induced cytotoxicity as indicated by increased MTT (3,(4,5-dimethylthiazole-2-yl)2,5-diphenyl-tetrazolium bromide) reduction, decreased lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) release, and improved morphological changes. Hoechst 33,258 staining showed that telmisartan markedly reduced shrunken nuclei of the cells, and Western blot analysis indicated that telmisartan significantly attenuated caspase-3 activity, as indicated by decreased ratio of cleaved Caspase-3 to its precursor and increased ratio of Bcl-2/Bax. The present findings showed that telmisartan protected against cellular oxidative damages by inhibiting apoptotic response.
KeywordsTelmisartan Oxidative stress Cytotoxicity Apoptosis
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81573413 and 81773714 to Hao Hong) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2632017PT01).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest.
- Adler EM (2006) Teaching resources. Cell culture as a model system for teaching: using PC12 cells. Sci STKE 2006Google Scholar
- Duan YT, Gao YH, Zhang J, Chen YN, Jiang YN, Ji J, Zhang JN, Chen XH, Yang QM, Su LP, Zhang J, Liu BY, Zhu ZG, Wang LS, Yu YY (2016) Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 protects gastric mucosa cells against DNA damage caused by oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med 93:165–176CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Garrido-Gil P, Joglar B, Rodriguez-Perez AI, Guerra MJ, Labandeira-Garcia JL (2012) Involvement of PPAR-γ in the neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects of angiotensin type 1 receptor inhibition: effects of the receptor antagonist telmisartan and receptor deletion in a mouse MPTP model of Parkinson’s disease. J Neuroinflamm 9:38CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Haraguchi T, Iwasaki K, Takasaki K, Uchida K, Naito T, Nogami A, Kubota K, Shindo T, Uchida N, Katsurabayashi S, Mishima K, Nishimura R, Fujiwara M (2010) Telmisartan, a partial agonist of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma, improves impairment of spatial memory and hippocampal apoptosis in rats treated with repeated cerebral ischemia. Brain Res 1353:125–312CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Leszek J, Barreto GE, Gąsiorowski K, Koutsouraki E, Ávila-Rodrigues M, Aliev G (2016) Inflammatory mechanisms and oxidative stress as key factors responsible for progression of neurodegeneration: role of brain innate immune system. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 15:329–336CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shindo T, Takasaki K, Uchida K, Onimura R, Kubota K, Uchida N, Irie K, Katsurabayashi S, Mishima K, Nishimura R, Fujiwara M, Iwasaki K (2012) Ameliorative effects of telmisartan on the inflammatory response and impaired spatial memory in a rat model of Alzheimer’s disease incorporating additional cerebrovascular disease factors. Biol Pharm Bull 35:2141–2147CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Singh B, Sharma B, Jaggi AS, Singh N (2013) Attenuating effect of lisinopril and telmisartanin intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced experimental dementia of Alzheimer’sdisease type: possible involvement of PPAR-gamma agonistic property. J Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Syst 14:124–136CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sinha K, Das J, Pal PB, Sil PC (2013) Oxidative stress: the mitochondria-dependent andmitochondria-independent pathways of apoptosis. Arch Toxicol 87(7):1157-1180Sharma B, Singh N (2012) experimental hypertension induced vascular dementia: pharmacological, biochemical and behavioral recuperation by angiotensin receptor blockerand acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 102:101–108Google Scholar
- Tsukuda K, Mogi M, Iwanami J, Min LJ, Sakata A, Jing F, Iwai M, Horiuchi M (2009) Cognitive deficit in amyloid-beta-injected mice was improved by pretreatment with a lowdose of telmisartan partly because of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gammaactivation. Hypertension 54:782–787CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Matsui T (2007) Potential utility of telmisartan, an angiotensin IItype 1 receptor blocker with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma)-modulating activity for the treatment of cardio metabolic disorders. Curr Mol Med 7:463–469CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar