Reduced adipogenesis after lung tumor exosomes priming in human mesenchymal stem cells via TGFβ signaling pathway
- 815 Downloads
A key feature of cancer cachexia is the loss of adipose tissue, mainly due to increased lipolysis and an impairment of adipogenesis. Recent findings have shown that cancer exosomes promoted lipolysis in adipose tissue. However, effects of cancer exosomes on adipogenesis were not reported. In this study, we found that lung cancer exosomes could be internalized by human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells (hAD-MSCs) and significantly inhibited hAD-MSC adipogenesis as demonstrated by Oil Red O staining and decreased expression of adipogenic-specific genes. Specifically, TGFβ signaling pathway was demonstrated to be involved in the inhibitive effects of lung cancer exosomes on hAD-MSC adipogenesis. Additionally, TGFβ was detected in A549 exosomes. Herein, this study reports that the effect of lung cancer cell exosomes on hAD-MSC adipogenic differentiation was mediated by TGFβ signaling pathway and suggests the involvement of cancer exosomes in weight loss of cancer cachexia.
KeywordsLung cancer Cachexia Exosome Human mesenchymal stem cell Adipogenesis TGFβ signaling pathway
This study was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81370879), PUMC Youth Fund and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (3332013141).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared no conflict of interest.
- 8.Grange C, Tapparo M, Collino F, Vitillo L, Damasco C, Deregibus MC, Tetta C, Bussolati B, Camussi G (2011) Microvesicles released from human renal cancer stem cells stimulate angiogenesis and formation of lung premetastatic niche. Cancer Res 71(15):5346–5356. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-02410008-5472.CAN-11-0241 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Bretz NP, Ridinger J, Rupp AK, Rimbach K, Keller S, Rupp C, Marme F, Umansky L, Umansky V, Eigenbrod T, Sammar M, Altevogt P (2013) Body fluid exosomes promote secretion of inflammatory cytokines in monocytic cells via Toll-like receptor signaling. J Biol Chem 288(51):36691–36702. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.512806 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ohshima K, Inoue K, Fujiwara A, Hatakeyama K, Kanto K, Watanabe Y, Muramatsu K, Fukuda Y, Ogura S, Yamaguchi K, Mochizuki T (2010) Let-7 microRNA family is selectively secreted into the extracellular environment via exosomes in a metastatic gastric cancer cell line. PLoS ONE 5(10):e13247. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013247 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zhang JL, Zhuo XJ, Lin J, Luo LC, Ying WY, Xie X, Zhang HW, Yang JX, Li D, Gao Smith F, Jin SW (2017) Maresin1 stimulates alveolar fluid clearance through the alveolar epithelial sodium channel Na, K-ATPase via the ALX/PI3 K/Nedd4-2 pathway. Lab Invest. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2016.150 Google Scholar
- 23.Peinado H, Aleckovic M, Lavotshkin S, Matei I, Costa-Silva B, Moreno-Bueno G, Hergueta-Redondo M, Williams C, Garcia-Santos G, Ghajar C, Nitadori-Hoshino A, Hoffman C, Badal K, Garcia BA, Callahan MK, Yuan J, Martins VR, Skog J, Kaplan RN, Brady MS, Wolchok JD, Chapman PB, Kang Y, Bromberg J, Lyden D (2012) Melanoma exosomes educate bone marrow progenitor cells toward a pro-metastatic phenotype through MET. Nat Med 18(6):883–891. doi: 10.1038/nm.2753 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar