C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 promote angiogenesis of endothelial cells through activation of ERK1/2 signal pathway
C1ql-like (C1QL)-1 and -4 proteins are encoded by homologous genes that are highly expressed in brain and adipose tissues. However, functional properties of C1QL proteins outside of the brain and adipocytes remain unknown. Here, we report that the globular domain of C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 proteins directly stimulate the angiogenesis of endothelial cells. In this study, soluble C1ql1/CTRP14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 proteins, produced in prokaryote expression system, are co-cultured with human umbilical vein endothelium cells (HUVECs), which phenotype is identified with von Willebrand factor antibody. C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 promote the migration and capillary tube formation of HUVECs in a dose-dependent manner. During this process, phosphorylation of c-Raf, MEK1/2, ERK1/2, and p90RSK are activated by C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11. MEK1/2 inhibitor, U0126, blocks C1ql1/Ctrp14-, and C1ql4/Ctrp11-induced capillary tube formation and cell migration. Moreover, the immunoreactivity of the receptor of C1QL1-C1QL4, brain-specific angiogenesis inhibitor 3 (BAI3), is detected in HUVECs, suggesting that BAI3 may mediate C1QL1/CTRP14- and C1QL4/CTRP11-induced angiogenesis. Meanwhile, C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 exposure also causes a stimulatory response of angiogenesis in chick yolk sac membrane. These data demonstrate that C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 stimulate the new blood vessel growth by activation of ERK1/2 signal pathway. The proangiogenic activity of C1ql1/Ctrp14 and C1ql4/Ctrp11 provides novel insights into the new opportunities for therapeutic intervention by targeting C1QLs in tumorigenesis, tissue regeneration, and recovery of ischemic heart disease.
KeywordsC1ql1/Ctrp14 C1ql4/Ctrp11 Angiogenesis ERK1/2 HUVECs Chick yolk sac membrane
This work was supported by the Project 30900232 of the National Natural Science Foundation, Project 200801259 of the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, Project sybzzxm201033 of Guangdong Province Excellent Doctoral Thesis Foundation, and Project 2013J2200026 of the Science &Technology Star of Pearl River, Guangzhou City.
- 8.Sigoillot SM, Iyer K, Binda F, Gonzalez-Calvo I, Talleur M, Vodjdani G, Isope P, Selimi F (2015) The secreted protein C1QL1 and its receptor BAI3 control the synaptic connectivity of excitatory inputs converging on cerebellar purkinje cells. Cell Rep. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2015.01.034 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kakegawa W, Mitakidis N, Miura E, Abe M, Matsuda K, Takeo YH, Kohda K, Motohashi J, Takahashi A, Nagao S, Muramatsu S, Watanabe M, Sakimura K, Aricescu AR, Yuzaki M (2015) Anterograde C1ql1 signaling is required in order to determine and maintain a single-winner climbing fiber in the mouse cerebellum. Neuron 85:316–329. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2014.12.020 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Matsuda K, Budisantoso T, Mitakidis N, Sugaya Y, Miura E, Kakegawa W, Yamasaki M, Konno K, Uchigashima M, Abe M, Watanabe I, Kano M, Watanabe M, Sakimura K, Aricescu AR, Yuzaki M (2016) Transsynaptic modulation of kainate receptor functions by C1q-like proteins. Neuron 90:752–767. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2016.04.001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Bossi F, Tripodo C, Rizzi L, Bulla R, Agostinis C, Guarnotta C, Munaut C, Baldassarre G, Papa G, Zorzet S, Ghebrehiwet B, Ling GS, Botto M, Tedesco F (2014) C1q as a unique player in angiogenesis with therapeutic implication in wound healing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111:4209–4214. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1311968111 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ouchi N, Kobayashi H, Kihara S, Kumada M, Sato K, Inoue T, Funahashi T, Walsh K (2004) Adiponectin stimulates angiogenesis by promoting cross-talk between AMP-activated protein kinase and Akt signaling in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 279:1304–1309. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M310389200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Aiken J, Birot O (2016) The vascular endothelial growth factor-A phosphorylates murine double minute-2 on its serine 166 via the extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and p90 ribosomal S6 kinase in primary human endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.08.150 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Clement DL, Mally S, Stock C, Lethan M, Satir P, Schwab A, Pedersen SF, Christensen ST (2013) PDGFRalpha signaling in the primary cilium regulates NHE1-dependent fibroblast migration via coordinated differential activity of MEK1/2-ERK1/2-p90RSK and AKT signaling pathways. J Cell Sci 126:953–965. doi: 10.1242/jcs.116426 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Gaboriaud C, Juanhuix J, Gruez A, Lacroix M, Darnault C, Pignol D, Verger D, Fontecilla-Camps JC, Arlaud GJ (2003) The crystal structure of the globular head of complement protein C1q provides a basis for its versatile recognition properties. J Biol Chem 278:46974–46982. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M307764200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar