Numerical analysis of quasi-static fracture in functionally graded materials
- 2k Downloads
This work investigates the existing capabilities and limitations in numerical modeling of fracture problems in functionally graded materials (FGMs) by means of the well-known finite element code ABAQUS. Quasi-static crack initiation and growth in planar FGMs is evaluated. Computational results of fracture parameters are compared to experimental results and good agreement is obtained. The importance of the numerical fit of the elastic properties in the FE model is analyzed in depth by means of a sensitivity study and a novel method is presented. Several key computational issues derived from the continuous change of the material properties are also addressed and the source code of a user subroutine USDFLD is provided in the Appendix for an effective implementation of the property variation. The crack propagation path is calculated through the extended finite element method and subsequently compared to available experimental data. Suitability of local fracture criteria to simulate crack trajectories in FGMs is discussed and a new crack propagation criterion is suggested.
KeywordsFunctionally graded material (FGM) Finite element method (FEM) Fracture mechanics Crack propagation Extended finite element method (X-FEM)
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the Ministry of Science and Innovation of Spain through the Grant DPI2010.21590.CO2.01.
- ABAQUS.: ABAQUS Version 6.13 Documentation. Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp, Providence (2013)Google Scholar
- Bao, G., Cai, H.: Delamination cracking in functionally graded coating/metal substrate systems. Acta. Mech. 45(3), 1055–1066 (1997)Google Scholar
- Chapa-Cabrera, J., Reimanis, I.E.: Crack deflection in compositionally graded Cu-W composites. Philos. Mag. A. 82(17–18), 3393–3403 (2002a)Google Scholar
- Eischen, J.W.: Fracture of nonhomogeneous materials. Int. J. Frac. 34, 3–22 (1987)Google Scholar
- Healy, B., Gullerud, A., Koppenhoefer, K., Roy, A., RoyChowdhury, S.: MW.: WARP3D Release 17.3.2 Manual. Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana (2012)Google Scholar
- Jedamzik, R., Neubrand, A., Rdel, J.: Characterisation of electrochemically processed graded tungsten/copper composites. Mater. Sci. Forum. 782–7, 308–311 (2000)Google Scholar
- Kawasaki, A., Watanabe, R.: Finite element analysis of thermal stress of the metal/ceramic multi-layer composites with compositional gradients. J. Jpn. Inst. Metals 51, 525–529 (1987)Google Scholar
- Kim, JH.: Mixed-mode crack propagation in functionally graded materials. PhD thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2003)Google Scholar
- Oral, A., Lambros, J., Anlas, G.: Crack initiation in functionally graded materials under mixed mode loading: experiments and simulations. J. Appl. Mech. Trans. ASME. 75(5), 0511,101 (2008)Google Scholar