ALTERNATIVE AXIOMATICS AND COMPLEXITY OF DELIBERATIVE STIT THEORIES
- First Online:
- 105 Downloads
We propose two alternatives to Xu’s axiomatization of Chellas’s STIT. The first one simplifies its presentation, and also provides an alternative axiomatization of the deliberative STIT. The second one starts from the idea that the historic necessity operator can be defined as an abbreviation of operators of agency, and can thus be eliminated from the logic of Chellas’s STIT. The second axiomatization also allows us to establish that the problem of deciding the satisfiability of a STIT formula without temporal operators is NP-complete in the single-agent case, and is NEXPTIME-complete in the multiagent case, both for the deliberative and Chellas’s STIT.
Key wordsaxiomatization complexity logic of agency STIT
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blackburn, P., de Rijke, M. and Venema, Y: Modal Logic. Cambridge University Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Balbiani, P., Gasquet, O., Herzig, A., Schwarzentruber, F. and Troquard, N. Coalition games over Kripke semantics: expressiveness and complexity, in Dégremont, C, Keiff, L. and Rückert, H. (eds.), Festschrift in Honour of Shahid Rahman. College Publications, 2008, in press.Google Scholar
- 3.Broersen, J., Herzig, A. and Troquard, N.: Normal Coalition Logic and its conformant extension, in Samet, D. (ed.), Theoretical Aspects of Rationality and Knowledge (TARK), Presses universitaires de Louvain, Brussels, 2007, pp. 91–101.Google Scholar
- 4.Belnap, N., Perloff, M. and Xu, M.: Facing the Future: agents and choices in our indeterminist world. Oxford, 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Chellas, B.: The Logical Form of Imperatives. PhD thesis, Philosophy Department, Stanford University, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.Dégremont, C.: Dialogical Deliberative Stit. Master’s thesis, Philosophy Department, University of Lille 3, 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Gabbay, D., Kurucz, A., Wolter, F. and Zakharyaschev, M.: Many-Dimensional Modal Logics: Theory and Applications. Number 148 in Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics. Elsevier, North-Holland, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.Troquard, N:. Independent agents in branching time: towards a unified framework for reasoning about multiagent systems. PhD thesis, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse and Università degli studi di Trento, July 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.Wansing, H.: Tableaux for multi-agent deliberative-STIT logic, in Governatori, G., Hodkinson, I. and Venema, Y. (eds.), Advances in Modal Logic, Volume 6. King’s College Publications, 2006, pp. 503–520.Google Scholar