The Jurisprudence of Taxpayer Rights in India: An Evolutionary Tale in Direct Taxation
- 9 Downloads
This article traces the evolution of taxpayer rights in direct taxes in India. From the first income tax statute introduced in British India to the most recent one, a broad analysis has been done of the enactments to comprehend the jurisprudence of taxpayer rights in India. The role of different administrative committees and the courts of law in establishing taxpayer rights has also been analysed. The scope of taxpayer rights in post-independence India has been probed, the colonial and post-colonial travails of the taxpayer have been outlined, and the contemporary redressals to taxpayer concerns up to the period of September 2019 have been examined in this article.
KeywordsHistory of taxation Direct taxes Income tax law Taxpayer rights Tax administration Tax reforms Tax certainity
I am thankful to International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, Amsterdam for the research stay during the summer of 2017. It provided me with valuable insights which have been helpful in the development of this paper. I thank Luca Cerioni for his generous guidance. I also thank Prabhakar Singh and Arpita Gupta for the sustained conversations and thoughtful comments.
- Alvaredo, Facundo, Augustin Bergeron, and Guilhem Cassan, Income concentration in British India, 1885–1946. Online Appendix. http://piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/AlvaredoBergeronCassan2017Appendix.pdf.
- Bagehot, Walter. 1968. Collected Works. London: The Economist 3: 352–353.Google Scholar
- Bentley, Duncan. 2016. Taxpayer Rights: Coping With Globalization and Uncertainty. Tax Notes International. Special Reports: 192.Google Scholar
- Brown, Abram. 2019. The Tragedy Behind The Death of Former Billionaire V.G. Siddhartha, India’s Coffee King. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2019/07/31/vg-siddhartha-death-coffee-day/#1396593f4f7b.
- Business Line. 2019. Task force on direct tax code submits report to FM Nirmala Sitharaman. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/task-force-on-direct-tax-code-submits-report-to-nirmala-sitharaman/article29146603.ece.
- Choudhary, Shrimi. 2019. CBDT Initiates Probe into Cafe Coffee Day founder V G Siddhartha’s death. Business Standard. https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/vg-siddhartha-s-death-cbdt-starts-inquiry-in-cafe-coffee-day-case-119081401620_1.html.
- de Zeeuw, Maarten. 2008. The Formulation of Taxpayer Rights and Obligations in a Developing Country. Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin 14: 40.Google Scholar
- Deloitte. 2019. Tax Policy Paper 5, Advance Rulings in India. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/tax/in-tax-advance-rulings-india-tax-policy-paper-noexp.pdf.
- Deloitte. 2018. Tax Insights, Corporate residency test—ATO’s new Approach Increases Risk for foreign Companies to be Treated as Australian Tax Residents. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/au/Documents/tax/deloitte-au-tax-insight-corporate-residency-test-ato-new-approach-210618.pdf.
- Dhruva Associates. 2018. Tax dispute resolution in India trends and insights. https://dhruvaadvisors.com/insights/files/TaxDisputesResolutionIndia_v2.pdf.
- Dhume, Sadanand. 2019. India Should Quit Harassing the ‘Super-Rich’: Boosting Taxes on High Earners Won’t Bring in the Revenue Modi Needs. It will Drive Out the Wealthy. The Wall Street Journal (22 Aug 2019).Google Scholar
- Ernst and Young. 2019. Global Tax Alert, India Reduces Tax Rates for Indian Companies. https://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/India_reduces_tax_rates_for_Indian_companies/$FILE/2019G_004266-19Gbl_India%20reduces%20tax%20rates%20for%20Indian%20companies.pdf.
- ET Bureau. 2019. Faceless e-Assessment Scheme for Taxpayers Launched. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/faceless-e-assessment-scheme-for-taxpayers-launched/articleshow/71480584.cms?from=mdr.
- Garner, Bryan, and Henry Campbell Black. 2009. Black’s Law, 9th ed. Minnesota: West Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gulati, I.S. 1972. Wanchoo Report: A Critique. Economic and Political Weekly 28 (7): 1314–1317.Google Scholar
- Hibbert, Christopher. 1978. The Great Mutiny. London: Viking.Google Scholar
- Jain, Parul, and K. Sekar. 2015. Country Report: India, 445–467. Rotterdam: International Fiscal Association Publication, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Jaiswal, Suraj, and Neeti Biyani. 2016. India’s Experience with Exchange of Information Agreements. http://www.cbgaindia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Indias-Experience-with-Exchange-of-Information-Agreements-Web-Publication.pdf.
- Jenkins, C.L. 2012. Legislative Comment 1860: India’s First Income tax. British Tax Review 7: 87–116.Google Scholar
- Krishnamurthy, Vijay. 2013. India’s GAAR: Nice Idea, Shame About the Execution. ITR. https://www.internationaltaxreview.com/article/b1fbsrj45h1rr6/indias-gaar-nice-idea-shame-about-the-execution.
- Modani, Kshama Loya, Ashish Kabra, and Mohammad Kamran. 2019. In Line with Vodafone, Delhi High Court Refuses Another Anti-BIT Arbitration Injunction. New Delhi: Nisith Desai Associates.Google Scholar
- Mohan, Ashwin. 2013. Government Faces Yet Another Blow to Retrospective Tax Laws. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/finance/government-faces-yet-another-blow-to-retrospective-tax-laws/articleshow/23315094.cms.
- Mohan, Ashwin. 2012. McLeod Russel First to Challenge India’s Retrospective Tax Laws. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/personal-finance-news/mcleod-russel-first-to-challenge-indias-retrospective-tax-laws/articleshow/14100295.cms?from=mdr.
- Moore, R.J. 1966. Sir Charles Wood’s Indian Policy, 1853–66. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- PTI. 2019a. Retrospective Tax Arbitration Award Delayed Till 2019-End. Livemint. https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/cairn-india-tax-case-retrospective-tax-arbitration-award-delayed-till-2019-end-1552316630693.html.
- PTI. 2019b. Cairn Energy Ready to Reinvest in India if Retro Tax Issue is Resolved. Livemint. https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/cairn-energy-ready-to-reinvest-in-india-if-retro-tax-issue-is-resolved-ceo-1564898649921.html.
- Ranjan, Prabhash, and Pushkar Anand. 2018. Vodafone Versus India—BIT by BIT, International Arbitration Becomes Clearer. The Wire. https://thewire.in/business/vodafone-versus-india-bit-international-arbitration.
- Rao, MG. 2016. Raja Chelliah: The Father of Tax Reform. Financial Express. https://www.financialexpress.com/opinion/raja-chelliah-the-father-of-tax-reform/335558/.
- Rao, V.K.R.V. 1931. Taxation of Income in India. London: Longmans, Green and Co.Google Scholar
- Rosenbloom, H.D. 1983. Tax Treaty Abuse: Problems and Issues. Law and Policy in International Business 15: 763.Google Scholar
- Roy, T. 2015. The East India Company: the World’s Most Powerful Corporation. Gurgan: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Salve, Harish. 2015. Retrospective Taxation—the Indian Experience. British Institute of International and Comparative Law. https://www.biicl.org/files/6722_panel_two_harish_salve.pdf.
- Savla, PS, and Keerthiga Sharma. 2017. Budget 2017: Is it Time to Mediate with the Revenue? https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/personal-finance/budget-2017-is-it-time-to-mediatethe-revenue-944492.html.
- Shrimi, Choudhary. 2019. CBDT Initiates probe into Cafe Coffee Day Founder V G Siddhartha’s Death. Business Standard. August 15, 2019. https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/vg-siddhartha-s-death-cbdt-starts-inquiry-in-cafe-coffee-day-case-119081401620_1.html.
- Singh, RR, and Neetika Kaushal Nagpal. 2014. Navigating the Headwinds: Mitigating Contention in India-US Business Engagement. http://icrier.org/ICRIER_Wadhwani/Index_files/India’s_Investment_Climate.pdf.
- Srivats, KR. 2017. Uncertainty Continues Over Retrospective Taxation. Business Line. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/policy/uncertainty-continues-over-retrospective-taxation/article9657224.ece.
- Sultana, Nasrin. 2019. Relief for Markets as Super-Rich Surcharge on FPIs is Withdrawn. Livemint. https://www.livemint.com/politics/policy/surcharge-withdrawal-for-fpis-big-positive-for-markets-1566573215377.html.
- Johndon, T.A. 2019. Coffee and froth: For VG Siddhartha, a lot could happen over coffee. The Indian Express.Google Scholar
- The Bar Council of India.Year. Nani Palkhivala. http://www.barcouncilofindia.org/about/legends-of-the-bar/nani-palikhivala/.
- Zuchermann, Gabriel. 2015. The Hidden Wealth of Nations. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Kanga, J.B., and N.A. Palkhivala. 2004. Law and Practice of Income Tax, 9th ed. New Delhi: LexisNexis.Google Scholar
- Adam, Smith. 1999  Wealth of Nations. Skinner, Andrew (Intro). London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Cape Brandy Syndicate v. IRC. 1921. KB 64.Google Scholar
- Heydon’s Case. (1584) 3 Co Rep 7a.Google Scholar
- Collector Of Central Excise vs Parle Exports. 1989. AIR [SC] 644.Google Scholar
- Columbia Sportswear Co. v. DIT. 2012. 11 SCC 224.Google Scholar
- Commissioner of Customs (Import), Mumbai v. Dilip Kumar and Company. 2018. 9 SCC 40.Google Scholar
- Eilbeck (Inspector of Taxes) v. Rawling. 1982. A.C. 300.Google Scholar
- Govind Saran Ganga Saran vs Commissioner Of Sales Tax. 1985. AIR 1041, 1985 SCR (3) 985.Google Scholar
- Lohia Machines Ltd and Anr v UOI. 1985. 152 ITR 308.Google Scholar
- Jindal Stainless Ltd v. State of Haryana. 2016. Indlaw SC 979.Google Scholar
- K. P. Varghese V. ITO. 1981. 131 ITR 597.Google Scholar
- Krishna Murthi and Co v State of Madras. 1972. AIR 1972 SC 2455.Google Scholar
- Vodafone International Holdings B.V. v. Union of India. 2012. 1 S.C.R. 573.Google Scholar
- W. T. Ramsay Ltd. v. Inland Revenue Commissioners.  A.C. 300.Google Scholar
- Code of Civil Procedure, 1908.Google Scholar
- Constitution of India, 1950.Google Scholar
- Income Tax (Amendment) Act, 1926.Google Scholar
- Income Tax (Amendment) Act, 1939.Google Scholar
- Income Tax Act, 1860.Google Scholar
- Income Tax Act, 1886.Google Scholar
- Income Tax Act, 1918.Google Scholar
- Income Tax Act, 1922.Google Scholar
- Income Tax Act, 1961.Google Scholar
- Indian Evidence Act, 1872.Google Scholar
- Punjab Laws Act, 1872.Google Scholar
- Right to Information Act, 2005.Google Scholar
- Wealth Tax Act, 1957.Google Scholar
- Advisors, B.M.R. 2013. Managing Tax Disputes in India: Key concepts and Practical Insights. New Delhi: Lexis Nexis.Google Scholar
- Chikermane, Gautam. 2018. India Matters. https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/43040-70-policies-the-93-5-percent-marginal-rate-of-taxation-1971/.
- Duhigg, Charles & David Kocieniewsky. 2012. How Apple Sidesteps Billions in Taxes. New York Times, 12 April.Google Scholar
- Govt of Australia. 2017. Historical consideration of taxpayer rights and protections in Australia. http://igt.gov.au/publications/reports-of-reviews/taxpayers-charter-and-taxpayer-protections-review/chapter-2-taxpayer-rights-in-australia-and-international-comparisons/.
- Govt. of India, Press Information Bureau. 2019. Ratification by India of the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting. https://pib.gov.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=191125.
- Govt. of India. 2014. Status of TARC recommendations. https://dor.gov.in/sites/default/files/Status%20Of%20TARC%20Recommendations_0.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 1971. Direct Taxes Enquiry Committee: Final Report. http://www.thehinducentre.com/multimedia/archive/03091/direct-taxes-enqui_3091080a.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 2012. Central Board of Direct Taxes, 29th May, 2012, F. No. 500/1 1 1 12009-FTD-l). https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Lists/Departmental%20News/Attachments/214/Departmental_News.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 2012. Expert Committee, Final Report on General Anti Avoidance Rules (GAAR) in Income-tax Act, 1961. https://www.finmin.nic.in/sites/default/files/report_gaar_itact1961.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 2015. Report No. 3 of 2015 (Direct Taxes). https://cag.gov.in/sites/default/files/audit_report_files/Union_Compliance_Direct_Tax_Revenue_Dept_3_2015_chapter_8.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 2012. Central Board of Direct Taxes, F. No. 500/1 1 1 12009-FTD-l (Pt.)..https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Lists/Departmental%20News/Attachments/214/Departmental_News.pdf.
- Govt. of India. 2016. Department of Revenue, Settlement Commission (IT-WT). https://dor.gov.in/rti/settlement-commisssion-itwt.
- Govt. of India. 2017. The Citizens’ Charter: Indian Experience. https://darpg.gov.in/citizens-charters-historical-background.
- Income Tax Report. 2018. Task Force for drafting the new Income Tax Law, Report on Income Tax Reforms for building a new India. https://www.thehindu.com/news/resources/article29215092.ece/Binary/IncomeTaxReformsReport.pdf.
- Jha, Kinshuk. 2017. Taxpayer rights and obligations. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/taxpayer-rights-and-obligations/article19723024.ece.
- OECD. 2013. Action Plan on base Erosion and Profit shifting. https://www.oecd.org/ctp/BEPSActionPlan.pdf.
- PWC. 2011. Answering Queries: Mutual Agreement Procedure..https://www.pwc.in/assets/pdfs/publications-2011/pwc_india_-_mutual_agreement_procedure_answering_queries-130112.pdf.
- Vaishnava, Saumya. 2014. First Report of the Tax Administration Reforms Commission. PRS.https://www.prsindia.org/sites/default/files/parliament_or_policy_pdfs/1404204462_TARC%20First%20Report%20Summary.pdf.