Thermal degradation and spectroscopic studies of single-crystalline organometallic calcium adipate monohydrate
- 16 Downloads
Calcium adipate monohydrate single crystals were grown by single gel diffusion technique using silica gel as a medium of growth. The powder X-ray diffraction revealed that the crystal belongs to the triclinic system with space group P-1(2). The Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and micro-Raman spectroscopy were performed to identify all the functional groups present in the compound. The thermogravimetric analysis supported the suggested chemical formula of the grown crystal as Ca(C6H8O4)·H2O and the thermal stability of the material up to 103 °C. FTIR and Raman results at different phase changing temperatures were also reported. Diffuse reflectance measurement of the sample was carried out, and the optical band gap of the material was calculated at 5.3 eV. The dielectric behavior of the crystal was also studied by measuring the dielectric constant, dielectric loss and ac conductivity as a function of frequency at room temperature (30 °C).
KeywordsCrystal growth X-ray diffraction Spectroscopy Thermogravimetric analysis Dielectrics
The authors thank to the UGC–SAP and FIST 2 (DST, Government of India), for the research facilities in the Department of Physics, University of Calicut. The author P.P.Pradyumnan is thankful to DST SERB (Govt. of India SB/EMEQ-002/2013) for the major research project. Jumanath.E.C is thankful to UGC, Govt. of India, for the award of UGC BSR (RFSMS) fellowship. The authors would like to thank the Central Sophisticated Instrumentation Facility (CSIF), University of Calicut, provided characterization facilities for the research work.
- 4.Ducruix A, Giegé R. Crystallization of nucleic acids and proteins: a practical approach. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.O’Neil MJ. Cambridge an encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs and biological. R Soc Chem. 2013;15:30.Google Scholar
- 7.Rodgman A, Perfetti TA. The chemical components of tobacco and tobacco. Smoke. 2013;2:2086.Google Scholar
- 17.Khair M. Cherry Jell-O nutrition facts. Kraft Foods. 2012;1:192.Google Scholar
- 21.Masko M, Suzuki T. Infrared and Raman Spectra of Adipic Acid Crystal. J Mol Spectrosc. 1969;20:415–25.Google Scholar
- 30.Rajagopal B, Sharma AV, Rmana MV. Dielectric and thermal studies of copper doped magnesium hydrogen maleate hexahydrate single crystals. J Miner Mater Charact Eng. 2011;10:1487.Google Scholar