Enhanced catalytic performance on the thermal decomposition of TKX-50 by Fe3O4 nanoparticles highly dispersed on rGO
- 5 Downloads
Fe3O4/reduced graphene oxide (Fe3O4/rGO) nanocomposite has been successfully fabricated using a modified interface solvothermal method and characterized by X-ray diffraction, Raman spectroscopy, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. In the preparation procedure, graphene oxide was reduced and ultrafine Fe3O4 nanoparticles (NPs) were uniformly loaded on reduced graphene oxide (rGO) carrier. Scanning electron microscope, transmission electron microscope images and Brunauer–Emmett–Teller specific surface area revealed that the aggregation of Fe3O4 NPs was greatly reduced by introducing rGO as a substrate. The average size of the Fe3O4 NPs anchored on the graphene sheets was 100 nm, which is much smaller than 1-μm bare Fe3O4. The DSC results showed that Fe3O4/rGO nanocomposite reduces the first decomposition temperature of dihydroxylammonium 5,5′-bistetrazole-1,1′-diolate (TKX-50) by 44.9 °C and decreases the apparent activation energy of TKX-50 by 26.2 kJ mol−1, which exhibits higher catalytic performance than its individual components and their physical mixture (hybrid). Hence, Fe3O4/rGO nanocomposite can be a promising additive for insensitive solid propellants based on TKX-50.
KeywordsFe3O4/rGO nanocomposite TKX-50 Thermal decomposition Catalytic activity Solvothermal method
The financial assistance from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21173163, 21473130 and 21503163) is greatly appreciated.
- 1.Venugopalan S. Demystifying explosives-concepts in high energy materials. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 2015.Google Scholar
- 2.Song ZW, Yan QL, Li XJ, Qi XF, Liu M. Crystal transition of ε-CL-20 in different solvent. Chin J Energ Mater. 2010;18:648–53.Google Scholar
- 6.Bi FQ, Fu XL, Shao ZB, Fan XZ, Li JZ, Yu HJ. Calculation of energy characteristics of high energy monopropellant TKX-50. Chem Propell Polym Mater. 2013;5:70–3.Google Scholar
- 7.Wang XP, Luo YJ, Guo K, Lu Y. Energy characteristics computation of propellant containing 3,3′-Dinitro-4,4′-oxazafurazan. Chin J Energ Mater. 2009;17:79–82.Google Scholar
- 12.Xie MZ, Heng SY, Liu ZR, Wang H, Wang XH, Zhao FQ. Research on the catalytic thermal decomposition of RDX-CMDB propellants by TG-DSC-IR-MS. J Solid Rock Tech. 2009;32:539–42.Google Scholar
- 19.Gao HX, Zhao FQ, Luo Y, Hao HX, Pei Q, Li SW. Synthesis of nanocomposite PbO·SnO2 and its effect on the combustion properties of DB and RDX-CMDB propellants. Chin J Expl Propell. 2012;35:15–8.Google Scholar