Accurate measurement of the longitudinal thermal conductivity and volumetric heat capacity of single carbon fibers with the 3ω method
- 43 Downloads
An experimental setup for 3ω method with a constant current source and two differential amplifiers was built to measure the thermal conductivity and the volumetric heat capacity of single polyacrylonitrile (PAN)-based carbon fiber. In complement to a well-known analytical thermal model, a numerical one was developed that can check the validity of the analytical one and can also take into account the effect of convective heat loss on the measurements. A detailed sensitivity analysis of the unknown parameters was presented that would finally help in the better design of the setup for 3ω method. The tests were performed under vacuum and atmospheric pressure for chromel wire as a reference sample and under vacuum for two types of PAN-based carbon fiber. Detailed measurements were performed displaying the influence of convective loss and the thermal contact resistance between fiber and copper electrodes on the estimation of thermal properties of carbon fiber.
Keywords3ω method Thermal conductivity Carbon fibers Sensitivity analysis Thermal contact resistance
The authors would like to thanks J. Aubril for the discussions and quality of his technical realizations.
- 12.Tian T, Cole KD. Anisotropic thermal conductivity measurement of carbon-fiber/epoxy composite materials. Int J Heat Mass Transf. 2012;55:6530–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.06.059.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Boussatour G, Cresson PY, Genestie B, Joly N, Brun JF, Lasri T. Measurement of the thermal conductivity of flexible biosourced polymers using the 3-omega method. Polym Test. 2018;70:503–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2018.07.026.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ediss GA. Effect of vacuum pressure on the thermal loading of the ALMA cryostat. Natl Radio Astron Obs. 2006;554:1–3.Google Scholar
- 24.Chapelle E, Garnier B, Bourouga B. Interfacial thermal resistance measurement between metallic wire and polymer in polymer matrix composites. Int J Therm Sci. 2009;48:2221–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2009.05.001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Omega Engineering. Physical Properties of Thermoelement Materials. https://www.omega.com/techref/pdf/z016.pdf. Accessed 1 Jan 2019.
- 28.Data sheet Torayca T300B. http://www.toraycfa.com/pdfs/T300DataSheet.pdf. Accessed 1 Jan 2019.
- 29.Data sheet Torayca T800H. https://www.toraycma.com/file_viewer.php?id=4463. Accessed 1 Jan 2019.