Thermal processing and thermal analysis of AlSi12–SiC hybrid composites sintered
- 68 Downloads
Metal powders are used in industry for a diversity of products and applications. Metal matrix composites are materials developed through advanced methods with increased characteristics that surpass those of conventional materials. In recent years, the aluminum alloy matrix composites (AlSiX/graphite, AlSiMg/SiC, Al/SiC) are considered better substitute materials for steel components because of their higher strength-to-mass ratio which results in significant mass savings, these materials being successfully used in the construction of automotive components such as brakes and clutches. The paper presents a study concerning the specificities of the sintering technology using solar energy of an AlSi12–SiC hybrid composite, made by powder metallurgy performed at PROMES-CNRS at Font-Romeu-Odeillo-France (MSSFs facility furnaces). Based on the collected data, conclusions could be drawn on the heating mode and the effect of the concentrated power of the parabola on the sintering curves recorded by thermal analysis. The qualification of the sintered samples is performed by structural, DIL and DSC analyses.
KeywordsMMCs AlSi12–SiC hybrid composites Solar energy Sintering DIL DSC
The financial support offered by the Access to Research Infrastructures activity in the 7th Framework Programme of the EU (SFERA 2 Grant Agreement No. 312643) is gratefully acknowledged, as well as the use of the facilities and the researchers/technology experts at the PROMES-CNRS laboratory. We hereby acknowledge the structural funds project PRO-DD (POS-CCE, O.2.2.1., ID 123, SMIS 2637, Contract No. 11/2009) for providing the infrastructure used in this paper.
- 3.Alpas AT, Zhang J. Effect of SiC particulate reinforcement on the dry sliding wear of aluminium–silicon alloys (A356). Wear. 1993;155:81–104.Google Scholar
- 10.Rodriguez GP, Lopez V, Vazquez AJ, De Damborenea JJ, Kirkpatrick A, Worek W. Solar Engineering. New York: ASME; 1993. p. 325–30.Google Scholar
- 11.Flamant G, Balat-Pichelin M, Elaboration and testing of materials using concentrated solar energy. Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. Eolss Publisher Co. Ltd./UNESCO United Kingdon; 2010. p. 363–89.Google Scholar
- 14.Balek V, Beneš M, Šubrt J. Use of emanation thermal analysis in the microstructure diagnostics of alumina coatings. Ceram-Silik. 2008;52(2):85–9.Google Scholar
- 16.Gaune-Escard M. Calorimetric Methods. Molten Salt Technics, vol. 4. New York: Plenum Press; 1991. p. 152–92.Google Scholar