Investigation on the structure, fluoride vaporization and crystallization behavior of CaF2–CaO–Al2O3–(SiO2) slag for electroslag remelting
- 96 Downloads
The structure, vaporization behavior and crystallization of CaF2–CaO–Al2O3 slags with different SiO2 contents for electroslag remelting were investigated by employing the TG and DSC measurements in conjunction with the Raman spectroscopy measurement for linking the macroscopic physicochemical property and microstructure information. The results show that SiO2 addition makes the depolymerized aluminate units polymerized into fully polymerized QAl4 unit and Al–O–Al complex structural groups. With the SiO2 content increasing to 6.1 mass%, the vaporization rate of fluoride increases because the SiF4 possessing higher vapor pressure is formed and the SiO2 addition can promote the formation of AlF3. As SiO2 content is further increased to 8.6 mass%, the vaporization rate of fluoride decreases because the mass transfer becomes slower. The more complex slag structure resulted from SiO2 addition dramatically decreases the crystallization temperature of the primary crystalline phase and the size of crystalline particles in the solidified slag.
KeywordsSiO2 addition Slag structure Vaporization Crystallization Electroslag remelting
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support from the Key Program of Joint Funds of the National Natural Science Foundation of China and the Government of Liaoning Province (Grant No. U1508214) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51210007).
- 5.Jiang ZH. Electroslag metallurgy. Beijing: Science Press; 2015.Google Scholar
- 6.Li ZB. Electroslag metallurgy theory and practice. Beijing: Metallurgical Industry Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- 10.Allibert M, Wadier J, Mitchell A. Use of SiO sub 2-containing slags in electroslag remelting. Ironmak Steelmak. 1978;5:211–6.Google Scholar
- 33.Yang XM, Shi CB, Zhang M, Duan JP, Zhang J. A thermodynamic model of phosphate capacity for CaO–SiO2–MgO–FeO–Fe2O3–MnO–Al2O3–P2O5 slags equilibrated with molten steel during a top-bottom combined blown converter steelmaking process based on the ion and molecule coexistence theory. Metall Mater Trans B. 2011;42:951–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Yang XM, Duan JP, Shi CB, Zhang M, Zhang YL, Wang JC. A thermodynamic model of phosphorus distribution ratio between CaO–SiO2–MgO–FeO–Fe2O3–MnO–Al2O3–P2O5 slags and molten steel during a top-bottom combined blown converter steelmaking process based on the ion and molecule coexistence theory. Metall Mater Trans B. 2011;42:738–70.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Nafziger R. The system CaF2–CaO–Al2O3 under one-third atmosphere of helium. High Temp Sci. 1973;5(6):414–22.Google Scholar