Experimental study of phase transformation in non-equilibrium hypoeutectic alloy from the Fe–Cr–Ni–Mo–C system
- 196 Downloads
In the present study, experimental and thermodynamic analysis of phase transformation in hypoeutectic Fe–24Cr–11Ni–4Mo–0.64C alloy is presented. The investigated alloy was synthesized in an arc furnace in high-purity argon atmosphere using suction-casting unit. Chemical composition of the alloy was determined using an optical emission spectrometer. The microstructure was characterized by scanning electron microscopy. Phase composition in as-cast state was analysed by X-ray diffraction and compared with thermodynamic calculations for equilibrium state using Thermo-Calc software. The analysis of phase transformations was conducted by dilatometry and differential scanning calorimetry investigations. It was found that phase composition of the alloy after non-equilibrium solidification (cooling rate ~30 °C s−1) differs significantly from equilibrium state. Critical temperatures of phase transformations in the alloy were determined.
KeywordsFe–Cr–Ni–Mo–C Phase transformation Dilatometry DSC Eutectic carbides
This work was supported by the AGH UST Grant No. 220.127.116.110.
- 2.Totten GE. Steel heat treatment, metallurgy and technologies. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis Group; 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Yang Z, Lang Y, Liu Z, Chen H, Liang J. The benefit of molybdenum in stainless steel. In: International seminar applications of Mo steels June 27th–28th, 2010:27–45.Google Scholar
- 13.Palcut M, Vach M, Cicka R, Janovec J. Compositional changes in carbide M7C3 upon annealing. Arch Metall Mater. 2008;53:1157–64.Google Scholar
- 15.Wieczerzak K, Bala P, Stepien M, Cios G, Koziel T. Microstructural aspects of cast Fe–Cr–Mo–C alloy. In: Met. 2015, June 3rd–5th, Brno, 2015; 1–6.Google Scholar
- 21.Liu S, Hamaguchi Y, Kuwano H. Intermetallic compounds and their formation reactions in system Fe–Cr–Mo at high-temperatures. Acta Metall Sin (Engl Lett). 1989;2:321–8.Google Scholar
- 22.Filho AI, Cardoso WS, Gontijo LC, Silva RV, Casteletti LC. Austenitic–ferritic stainless steel containing niobium. Metall Mater. 2013;66:467–71.Google Scholar
- 28.Durand-Charre M. Microstructure of steels and cast irons. Berlin: Springer; 2003.Google Scholar