Solid-state thermal and spectroscopic studies of the anti-inflammatory drug sulindac using UV–Vis, MIR, NIR, DSC, simultaneous TG–DSC, and the coupled techniques TG-EGA-MIR and DSC–optical microscopy
- 456 Downloads
Simultaneous thermogravimetry–differential scanning calorimetry (TG–DSC), differential scanning calorimetry–optical microscopy (DSC–optical microscopy), online coupled thermogravimetry–infrared spectroscopy evolved gas analyses (TG-EGA-MIR), and spectroscopic techniques were used to study the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug sulindac in polymorphic form II. The TG–DSC curves, which were performed with the aid of DSC–optical microscopy, provided information concerning the thermal stability and decomposition profiles of the compound. From the TG-EGA-MIR coupled technique, it was possible to identify formaldehyde as a volatile compound that was released during thermal decomposition. A complete spectroscopic characterization in the ultraviolet, visible, near- and middle-infrared regions was performed in order to understand the spectroscopic properties of sulindac form II.
KeywordsSulindac Thermal behavior Spectroscopic studies Coupled TG-EGA-MIR DSC–optical microscopy
The authors would like to thank the FAPESP (Proc. 2012/21450-1, 2011/03129-9 and 2013/04096-2) and CNPq foundations (Brazil) for their financial support.
Supplementary material 2 (WMV 3878 kb)
- 1.Shen TY, Witzel BE, Jones H, Linn BO, McPherson J, Greenwald R, Fordice M, Jacob A. Synthesis of a new anti-inflammatory agent, cis-5-fluoro-2-methyl-1-[p-(methylsulfinyl)benzylidenyl]-indene-3-acetic acid. Fed Proc. 1972;31:577.Google Scholar
- 8.Coray TW. Inflammation in Alzheimer disease: Driving force, bystander or beneficial response? Nat Med. 2006;12:1005–15.Google Scholar
- 12.Alves GMC, Rolim LA, Neto PJR, Leite ACL, Brondani DJ, Medeiros FPM, Bieber LW, Mendoça Junior FJB. Purificação e caracterização da β-lapachona e estudo de estabilidade dos cristais em diferentes condições de armazenamento. Quím Nova. 2008;31:413–16.Google Scholar
- 22.ASTM E 928-03 Standard Test Method for Purity by Differential Scanning Calorimetry (2003).Google Scholar
- 23.Cassel RB. Purity Determination and DSC Tzero technology, TA Instruments Internal Publication TA295a (2002).Google Scholar