Effect of ZnO nanoparticles on the thermal and mechanical properties of epoxy-based nanocomposite
- 815 Downloads
Effect of ZnO nanoparticles particles on the mechanical properties and the curing behavior of an epoxy nanocomposite were studied. Nanocomposites were prepared using different loadings of pre-dispersed ZnO nanoparticles having an average size of 40 nm. The surface topography and morphology of the nanocomposites were studied using atomic force microscope (AFM). The mechanical properties of nanocomposites were studied using analytical techniques including dynamic mechanical thermal analysis and micro-Vickers hardness. Effects of ZnO nanoparticles on the curing behavior of these nanocomposites were investigated utilizing isothermal and non-isothermal differential scanning calorimeter techniques. In addition, chemical compositions of coatings containing different ZnO nanoparticles contents were studied using a Fourier transform inferred. It was found that, ZnO nanoparticles can effectively influence the mechanical properties of epoxy coating. In addition, lower curing degrees, and therefore crosslinking density of epoxy coating including higher ZnO nanoparticles were obtained. This effect was completely different at low and high loadings of the particles.
KeywordsNanocomposite ZnO nanoparticles DMTA FTIR
We would like to thank National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) for his financial support.
- 4.Shi H, Liu F, Han E, Wei Y. Effects of nano pigments on the corrosion resistance of alkyd coatings. J Mater Sci Technol 2007;23(4):551–8.Google Scholar
- 5.Cayton RH, Sawitowski T. The impact of Nano-materials on coating technologies. NSTI-Nanotechnology. 2005;4:1–4.Google Scholar
- 6.Ramezanzadeh B, Mohseni M, Yari H, Sabbaghian S. A study of thermal–mechanical properties of an automotive coating exposed to natural and simulated bird droppings. J Therm Anal Calorim. doi: 10.1007/s10973-009-0442-4.
- 7.Ramezanzade B, Attar MM, Farzam M. Investigation the effect of nano-ZnO particles on the anticorrosion resistance and mechanical properties of an epoxy nanocomposite. J Coat Technol Res (accepted).Google Scholar
- 20.Skaja A, Fernando D, Croll S. Mechanical property changes and degradation during accelerated weathering of polyester urethane coatings. J Coat Technol Res. 2006;3(1):41–51.Google Scholar
- 22.Nikolic G, Zlatkovic S, Cakic M, Cakic S, Lacnjevac C, Rajic Z. Fast fourier transform IR characterization of epoxy GY systems crosslinked with aliphatic and cycloaliphatic EH polyamine adducts. Sensors 2010; doi: 10.3390/s100100684.