Thermogravimetric analysis and hot-stage Raman spectroscopy of cubic indium hydroxide
- 315 Downloads
The transition of cubic indium hydroxide to cubic indium oxide has been studied by thermogravimetric analysis complimented with hot-stage Raman spectroscopy. Thermal analysis shows the transition of In(OH)3 to In2O3 occurs at 219 °C. The structure and morphology of In(OH)3 synthesised using a soft chemical route at low temperatures was confirmed by X-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy. A topotactical relationship exists between the micro/nano-cubes of In(OH)3 and In2O3. The Raman spectrum of In(OH)3 is characterised by an intense sharp band at 309 cm−1 attributed to ν1 In–O symmetric stretching mode, bands at 1137 and 1155 cm−1 attributed to In-OH δ deformation modes, bands at 3083, 3215, 3123 and 3262 cm−1 assigned to the OH stretching vibrations. Upon thermal treatment of In(OH)3, new Raman bands are observed at 125, 295, 488 and 615 cm−1 attributed to In2O3. Changes in the structure of In(OH)3 with thermal treatment is readily followed by hot-stage Raman spectroscopy.
KeywordsThermogravimetry Hot-stage Raman spectroscopy Indium hydroxide Indium oxide
The financial and infra-structure support from the Queensland University of Technology Inorganic Materials Research Program is gratefully acknowledged. The Australian Research Council (ARC) is thanked for funding the instrumentation. One of the authors (JY) is grateful to the Queensland University of Technology Inorganic Materials Research Program for the award of an international doctoral scholarship.
- 5.Su CH, Palosz W, Zhu S, Lehoczky SL, Grzegory I, Perlin P, et al. Energy gap in GaN bulk single crystal between 293 and 1237 K. J Cryst Growth. 1237;235(2002):111–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Chen CL, Chen DR, Jiao XL, Wang CQ. Ultrathin corundum-type In2O3 nanotubes derived from orthorhombic InOOH: synthesis and formation mechanism. Chem Commun. 2006;4632–4.Google Scholar
- 17.Liu XH, Zhou LB, Yi R, Zhang N, Shi RR, Gao GH, et al. Single-crystalline indium hydroxide and indium oxide micro/nano-cubes: synthesis and characterization. J Phys Chem C. 2008;112:18426–30.Google Scholar
- 18.Dong H-X, Yang H-Q, Yin W-Y, Yang W-Y, Wang L-F. Controlled synthesis of octahedron, nanobelts, dentate nanowires and nanocrystal chains of In2O3. Huaxue Xuebao. 2007;65:2611–7.Google Scholar
- 38.Liu D, Lei WW, Zou B, Yu SD, Hao J, Wang K, Liu BB, Cui QL, Zou GT. High-pressure X-ray diffraction and Raman spectra study of indium oxide. J Appl Phys. 2008;104:083506/083501–505.Google Scholar