Effect of accelerated thermal ageing on the thermal behaviour of the recently made parchments
- 112 Downloads
To reveal the fire injuring of parchment, the changes in the thermal behaviour of some goat parchments, obtained from skins originating from different animals, as a result of thermal aging were determined by thermal analysis methods (DSC; simultaneous TG/DTG, DSC; micro hot table (MHT)). Thermal aging of parchments was revealed to bring about the decrease in shrinkage temperature, absolute value of enthalpy of denaturation in water and some changes in non-isothermal parameters characteristic for dehydration process in static air atmosphere.
The results obtained by DSC analysis performed in N2 and O2 flows as well as those obtained by simultaneous TG/DTG, DSC analyses have shown that both softening (melting) process parameters and parameters of thermo-oxidative processes have not been changed by thermal ageing. The results obtained by thermal analysis methods were correlated with those obtained by microscopic investigation of parchment samples immersed in water and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The application of these microscopic techniques has revealed the morphology changes in the investigated parchments as a result of thermal degradation.
Keywordsaccelerated thermal degradation parchment SEM thermal analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Chahine and C. Rotier, European-Environmental Leather Project, Research Report, Copenhagen 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Popescu, P. Budrugeac, L. Miu, C. Iditoiu and F. J. Wortmannn, 30th Aachen Textile Conference, Aachen-Germany 2003.Google Scholar
- 15.G. Della Gatta, E. Badea, A. Mašić and R. Ceccarelli, Improved Damage Assessment of Parchment, R. Larsen, Ed., Archetype Publications Ltd., London 2007, p. 89.Google Scholar
- 17.P. Budrugeac and L. Miu, J. Cultural Heritage, (in press).Google Scholar
- 18.C. Popescu, P. Budrugeac, F. J. Wortmann, L. Miu, D. Demco and M. Baias, Polym. Degrad. Stab., published online.Google Scholar
- 20.R. Larsen, D. V. Poulsen and M. Vest, Microanalysis of Parchment, R. Larsen, Ed., Archetype Publications Ltd., London 2002, pp. 55–62.Google Scholar
- 23.G. de Simone, B. Naviglio, M. Tomaselli, L. Bianchi, D. Sannino and P. Chiambelli, XXIII IULTCS Congress, Friedrichshafen, 1995, Paper 21.Google Scholar