Grinding of drugs with pharmaceutical excipients at cryogenic temperatures
- 218 Downloads
The effect of cryogenic grinding on the piroxicam and its mixtures with polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) was studied by powder X-ray diffraction and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The crystallization of the amorphous piroxicam obtained during cryogrinding showed two events in a DSC curve (noticeable for pure piroxicam, and much more pronounced for the PVP-piroxicam mixtures). For the same measurement conditions, the intensity ratio of the peaks corresponding to the two events differed for the PVP-piroxicam mixtures of different drug-excipient ratios. The temperatures, at which these events were observed, increased with the increase in the PVP-concentration in the mixture. For the mixtures with a high relative content of PVP (≥60%), crystallization was not observed at all. Only one glass transition was revealed for the mixture containing 80% PVP suggesting that a molecular alloy was formed.
Keywordscryogrinding crystallization glass transition molecular alloy piroxicam polyvinylpyrrolidone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. P. Shakhtshneider and V. V. Boldyrev, Mechanochemical synthesis and mechanical activation of drugs. In: Reactivity of Molecular Solids, E. Boldyreva and V. Boldyrev, Eds, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., UK 1999, p. 271.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Ikekawa, Proceed. 4th Japan-Russia Symp. on Mechanochemistry, Soc. Powder Techn. Japan, Nagoya 1992, p. 211.Google Scholar
- 18.A. A. Politov, V. G. Kostrovskii and V. V. Boldyrev, Russ. J. Phys. Chem., 75 (2001) 1903.Google Scholar
- 20.S. Petit and G. Coquerel, The amorphous state. In: Polymorphism in the Pharmaceutical Industry, Ed. R. Hilfiker, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim 2005, p. 259.Google Scholar
- 21.H. Baker, R. Davey and A. Miller, Book of Abstracts of the 7th International Workshop on the Crystal Growth of Organic Materials, CGOM7, Rouen, 27th–31st August 2006, University of Rouen, France, p. P–29.Google Scholar
- 28.H. Sekikawa, M. Nakano and T. Arita, Chem. Pharm. Bull., 26 (1978) 118.Google Scholar
- 30.R. J. Roe, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., NY 1985.Google Scholar