Improved controlled temperature and relative humidity DMA of artists’ acrylic emulsion paint films
- 128 Downloads
Issues encountered with dynamic mechanical analysis of artists’ acrylic emulsion paint films are presented alongside modifications to improve controlled relative humidity (RH) experiments using isothermal and thermal scanning conditions. Free films of titanium white (PW6) artists’ acrylic emulsion paints were cast as free films and their viscoelastic properties measured using the tensile mode of the dynamic mechanical analyser (DMA). Artists’ acrylic emulsion paints are within their glass transition temperature region at room temperature and are highly responsive to changes in ambient temperature and relative humidity, hence controlling relative humidity during analysis is vital to the successful analysis of these paints.
Keywordsacrylic emulsion dynamic mechanical analysis films paint relative humidity titanium white
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Learner, The Conservator, 24 (2000) 96.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Murray, C. C. De Berenfeld, S. Y. S. Chang, E. Jablonski, T. Klein, M. C. Riggs, E. C. Robertson and W. M. A. Tse, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, 712 (2002) 83.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Jablonski, T. Learner, J. Hayes and M. Golden, Reviews in Conservation, 4 (2003) 3.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Ormsby, T. Learner, M. Schilling, J. Druzik, H. Khanjian, D. Carson, G. Foster and M. Sloan, Oberflächenreinigung. Materialien und Methoden, VDR Schriftenreihe 2, Ed. Cornelia Weyer, Theiss Verlag, Stuttgart (2006) 135–150.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Digney-Peer, A. Burnstock, T. Learner, H. Khanjian, F. Hoogland J. J. Boon, Contributions to Bilbao Congress, 13–17 September 2004. International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (2004), 202–207.Google Scholar
- 7.G. D. Smith, ICOM Committee for Conservation 14th Triennial Meeting, The Hague, Preprints. James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (2005), pp. 824–832.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Hagan and A. Murray, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, 852 (2005) 41.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Learner, O. Chiantore and O. Scalarone, ICOM Committee for Conservation 13th Triennial Meeting Rio de Janeiro, Preprints, James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (2002), pp. 911–919.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Scalarone, O. Chiantore and T. Learner, ICOM Committee for Conservation 14th Triennial Meeting, The Hague, Preprints. James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (2005), pp. 350–357.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Odlyha, G. M. Foster, N. S. Cohen and R. Larsen, ICOM Committee for Conservation, 12th Triennial Meeting, Lyon, James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (1999), pp. 702–707.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Odlyha, N. S. Cohen, G. M. Foster and A. Aliev, ICOM Committee for Conservation 13th Triennial Meeting, Rio de Janeiro, Preprints. James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (2002), pp. 615–621.Google Scholar