Thermokinetic analysis of the hydration process of calcium phosphate cement
- 79 Downloads
A microcalorimeter (Setaram c-80) was used to study the thermokinetics of the hydration process of calcium phosphate cement (CPC), a biocompatible biomaterial used in bone repair. The hydration enthalpy was determined to be 35.8 J g–1 at 37.0°C when up to 80 mg CPC was dissolved in 2 mL of citric buffer. In the present study, parameters related to time constants of the calorimeter were obtained by fitting the recorded thermal curves with the function θ=Ae–?t(1– e–?2t). The real thermogenetic curves were then retrieved with Tian function and the transformation rate of the hydration process of CPC was found to follow the equation α=1–[1–(0.0075t)3]3. The microstructures of the hydrated CPC were examined by scanning electron microscopy. The nano-scale flake microstructures are due to crystallization of calcium phosphate and they could contribute to the good biocompatibility and high bioactivity.
Keywordscalcium phosphate cement hydration process rebuilding thermogenetic curve thermokinetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kveton, JF, Friedman, CD, Piepmeier, JM, Constantino, PD 1995Laryngoscope105156Google Scholar
- 2.Chow, LC, Takagi, S, Ishikawa, K 1994Formation of hydroxyapatite in cement systems.CRC PressUSA127In: W. E. Brown, E. Constanz, EditorsGoogle Scholar
- 4.Hemminger, W, Höhne, G 1984Calorimetry-Fundamentals and PracticeWeinheim, Deerfield BeachBaselGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nocuń-Wczelik, Wiesława, Pytel, Z 2004J. Therm. Anal.Cal.771388Google Scholar
- 14.Zeng, XC, Zhang, YQ, Meng, XG, Chen, MZ, Qin, ZM, Hu, QS 1996Chem. J. Chin. Univ.17607Google Scholar
- 16.Calvet, E, Prat, H, Skinner, HA 1963Recent Progress in Microcalorimetry, Pergamon PressLondonGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bares, P, Wu, ZQ, Wang, RF 1991Structure and Function of CementArchitecture PressChina252Google Scholar
- 19.Li, CD, Mason, J 2004J. Therm. Anal. Cal.1585Google Scholar