The effect of slow heating rates on the reaction mechanisms of nano and micron composite thermite reactions
- 246 Downloads
Thermal analyses were performed on Al+MoO3 thermite reactions as a function of Al particle size (ranging from 50 to 20 μm) and heating rate (from 2.5 to 15 K min–1 ). Results include ignition (onset) temperatures and heats of reaction. The nano-thermites initiate prior to reactant phase changes and at least 300°C below micron-thermites. The differences in ignition temperatures are suggestive of different ignition mechanisms. Nano-thermites display higher heats of reaction that are dependent on experimental conditions.
Keywordsheat of reaction ignition temperature nano-aluminum nanocomposite thermites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. Sun, M. L. Pantoya and S. L. Simon, Thermochim. Acta, (2006) in press.Google Scholar
- 7.Lide, DR 1998–1999.CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics79thCRC Press IncUSAGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mallinckrodt Chemicals, J. T. Baker Molybdenum Trioxide MSDS, Mallinckrodt Baker, Inc. website retrieved Jan. 10, 2005.Google Scholar
- 9.Feng, HJ, Moore, JJ, Wirth, DG 1998Proc. of the Symp. on Developments in Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites, TMS Annual MeetingTMSSan Diego, CA219Google Scholar
- 12.S. H. Fischer and M. C. Grubelich, Proc. of the 24th Int. Pyrotechnics Seminar, 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.M. A. Trunov, M. Schoenitz and E. L. Dreizin, Int. Workshop on Comb. and Prop., Novel Energetic Materials and Applications, Lerici, La Spezia, Italy (Sept. 2003).Google Scholar