Novel polymer blends based on poly(ether-urethane) ionomer and ion-containing styrene copolymer
- 35 Downloads
The structure-property relationships of thermoplastic polymer blends based on poly(ether-urethane) ionomer (PEUI) and ion-containing styrene-acrylic acid copolymer (S-co-AA(K)) have been investigated by using DMTA, DSC and TGA, as well as tensile tests. Convergence of the glass transition temperature (Tg) values of the PEUI and the S-co-AA(K) components in the blends studied, as compared to the individual polymers, was found and explained by improving compatibility of the components due to increasing effective density of physical networks formed by ion-dipole and ion-ion interactions of ionic groups of the components. Character of E'=f(T) and E''=f(T) dependencies confirms the increase of the effective density of physical networks in the compositions studied compared to individual PEUI and S-co-AA(K). Improvement of end-use properties, i.e. thermal stability and tensile properties has been found for the PEUI/S-co-AA(K) compositions with lower content of S-co-AA(K) (i.e. <10 mass%) and explained by formation of additional network of intermolecular ionic bonds between the functional groups of PEUI and S-co-AA(K).
Keywordscompatibility phase structure poly(ether-urethane) ionomer styrene-acrylic acid copolymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vasile, C, Kulshreshtha, AK, et al. 2003Handbook of Polymer Blends and Composites, Vol. 3ARapra Technology Lim.United Kingdom330Google Scholar
- 2.Paul, DR, Bucknall, CB, et al. 2000Polymer Blends, Vol. 1WileyNew York600Google Scholar
- 6.Lattimer, RP, Williams, RC 2002J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis6385Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, S-S, Kim, S 2004Chem. Eng. J.9853Google Scholar
- 9.Faravelli, T, Pinciroli, M, Pisano, F, Bozzano, G, Dente, M, Ranzi, E 2001J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis60103Google Scholar
- 10.McNeill, C, Liggat, JJ 1992Polym. Degrad. Stab.36291Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, W, Shen, J, Zhu, S-H, Chan, C-M 1998J. Appl. Polym. Sci.672035Google Scholar