Microcalorimetric study of virus infection; The effects of hyperthermia and 1b recombinant homo interferon on the infection process of BHK-21 cells by foot and mouth disease virus
- 66 Downloads
The metabolic process of BHK-21 cell line infected by foot and mouth disease virus (FMDV) was determined by using LKB-2277 Bioactivity Monitor. The aim of the present study is to investigate the metabolic thermal power of the virus infection process of BHK-21 cells, the effects of combinational treatments of hyperthermia and 1b recombinant homo interferon on this process. In contrast to the metabolic thermal power of uninfected BHK-21 cells, the thermogenetic curves show that the energy metabolism mechanisms of BHK-21 cells were significantly changed by the virus infection process. The maximum thermal power decreased and the time needed to reach the maximal thermal power increased with the increasing concentration of interferon. The results also show that the infection process was thermosensitive. But no apparent synergetic effect of the combinational treatments of hyperthermia and interferon was observed. The present microcalorimetric results are in accordance with the cytomorphology observations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Esteban, B. Eric, E. Cristina and S. Francisco, Comp. Immunol. Microb., 25 (2002) 297.Google Scholar
- 3.R. B. Kemp, Handbook of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 4, From Macromolecules to Man, Elsevier, Amsterdam 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Ijungholm, I. Wadsö and L. Kjellen, Acta Path. Microbial. Scand. Sect. B, 86 (1978) 121.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Suurkuusk and I. Wadsö, Chem. Scr., 20 (1982) 155.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Backman, T. Kimura, A. Schon and I. Wadsö, J. Cell Physiol., 150 (1992) 99.Google Scholar
- 16.E. K. Wagner and M. J. Hewlett, Basic Virology, Blackwell Science Inc., Berlin 1999.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Isaacs and J. Lindenmann, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B., 147 (1957) 258.Google Scholar
- 18.I. R. Tizard, The biology of veterinary cytokines interferons. In: M. J. Myers and M. P. Murtablgh (Eds), Cytokines in Animal Health and Disease. Marcel Dekker Inc, New York 1995.Google Scholar
- 20.J. P. Mather and P. E. Roberts, Introduction to Cell and Tissue Culture: Theory and Technique, Plenum Press, New York 1998.Google Scholar