Microstructural and optical characterizations of sol–gel based antimony doped indium oxide coatings on glass
- 153 Downloads
Thin films of antimony doped indium oxide on glass has been developed by sol–gel dipping process. Four different Sb: In atomic ratios, 1:99, 4:96, 7:93, 10:90 were selected for the precursors. Pressure flow curve of the precursors were Newtonian which apparently developed homogeneous films baking at 500 °C in air. The EDS study restricted to the study of the films of only two Sb: In atomic ratios, namely 7:93, 10:90 as antimony sublimes during baking. Polycrystalline nature of the nanostructured films were revealed by X-ray diffractogram and SAED analysis. Transmission electron microscopy study shows the presence of nanoclusters of maximum average size, ~11 nm. The band gap evaluation from the absorption spectra suggested the presence of bulk indium oxide, nanoclustered indium oxide and antimony doped indium oxide. Presence of Sb(V) in the system was evidenced from the characteristic absorption spectra in the UV region. Visible transmissivity and electrical resistivity suggested the films to be prospective transparent conducting oxide material. The photoluminescence study exhibited the characteristic emissions for defect centres.
KeywordsIndium antimony oxide film Sol–gel Dip coating Microstructure of semiconductor Photoluminescence
Authors acknowledge the Director of CSIR-CGCRI for providing instrumental facilities to characterize the developed materials. One of the authors (SSG) gives special thanks to CSIR-HRDG for offering him fellowship (CSIR-SRF).
- 4.Jarzebski ZM (1982) Preparation and physical properties of transparent conducting oxide films, review article. Phys Stat Sol A 13:14–41Google Scholar
- 6.Das N, Koley B, Panda A, Mallick A, Ghosh SS, Jana S, Biswas PK (2010) Multilayer sol–gel ITO coatings on glass with antireflection property. International conference on recent trends in materials science and technology. ICMST, ThiruvananthapuramGoogle Scholar
- 12.Beena D, Lethy KJ, Vinodkumar R, Detty AP, Mahadevanpillai VP, Ganesana V (2011) Photoluminescence in laser ablated nanostructured indium oxide thin films. Optoelectron Adv Mater Rapid Commun 5:1–11Google Scholar
- 16.Buerger MJ, Sterling BH (1937) The crystal structure of valentinite (Orthorhombic Sb203). S eitschr Krist 98:1–30Google Scholar
- 17.Orman RG (2005) Phase transitions in antimony oxides and related glasses. M.Sc. thesisGoogle Scholar