Effect of sintering temperature on mechanical and microstructural properties of bovine hydroxyapatite (BHA)
- 313 Downloads
The influence of sintering temperature on densification, microstructure and the mechanical properties of bovine hydroxyapatite (BHA), produced by a calcination method, was investigated. Densification and mechanical properties improved with increasing sintering temperature in the range between 1000°C and 1300°C, with optimum properties being obtained at a sintering temperature of 1200°C. The measured mechanical properties indicate that sintered BHA bodies are interesting biomaterials for further investigation in biomedical applications.
KeywordsBovine hydroxyapatite Sintering Mechanical properties Microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Goller and F.N. Oktar, Mater. Lett. 56, 142 (2002).Google Scholar
- 2.F.N. Oktar, G. Goller, M. Yetmez, and D. Toykan, Key Eng. Mater. 240–242, 315 (2004).Google Scholar
- 3.S.K. Ritter, Boning Up. At the human body shop, bioceramics or biopolymers combined with bone cells and growth factor are likely to lead the parts list (Chemical Engineering News, August 25, 1997, http://pubs.acs.org/hotartel/cenear/97cen.html).
- 4.F.N. Oktar, K. Kesenci, and E. Piskin, Artificial Cell, Blood Substitutes Immobilization Biotechnology 27, 367 (1999).Google Scholar
- 5.B. Ben-Nissan, Currr. Opin. Sol. State Mater. Sci. 7, 283 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.L.S. Ozyegin, F.N. Oktar, G. Goller, E.S. Kayali, and T. Yazici, Mater. Lett. 58, 2605 (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.F.N. Oktar and G. Goller, Ceramic International 28, 617 (2002).Google Scholar
- 11.G. Goller, H. Demirkiran, F.N. Oktar, and E. Demirkesen, Ceram. Int. 29, 721 (2003).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Goller, F.N. Oktar, D. Toykan, and E.S. Kayali, Key Eng. Mater. 240–242, 619 (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.P. Valerio, F.N. Oktar, L. Ozyegin, G. Goller, A.M. Goes, and M.F. Leite, Key Eng. Mater. 254–256, 837 (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.P. Valerio, F.N. Oktar, G. Goller, A.M. Goes, and M.F. Leite, Key Eng. Mater. 254–256, 777 (2004).Google Scholar
- 15.F.N. Oktar, S. Ozsoy, and L.S. Ozyegin, Key Eng. Mater. 240–242, 327 (2003).Google Scholar
- 16.S. Altintas, H. Gokbayrak, and S. Goren, Key Eng. Mater. 264–268, 1949 (2004).Google Scholar
- 17.H. Gokbayrak, Production of hydroxyapatite ceramics, M.S. Thesis, Bogazici University, 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.F.N. Oktar, Y. Genc, G. Goller, H. Demirkiran, D. Toykan, and H. Haybat, Key Eng. Mater. 264–268, 2087 (2004).Google Scholar
- 19.E.A. Monroe, Biomaterials—Teeth, Course notes (State University of New York, College of Ceramics at Alfred University, Alfred, NY, June USA, 1987).Google Scholar
- 20.C.P.A.T. Klein, P. Patka, J.G.C. Wolke, J.M.A. Blieck-Hugervorst, and K. de Groot, Biomaterials 15, 146 (1994).Google Scholar