Nanostructured ZrO2-Coated TiO2 Electrodes for Dye-Sensitised Solar Cells
- 455 Downloads
Thin films of ZrO2 were deposited on nanostructured anatase TiO2 electrodes via sol-gel route and utilised in the assembly of a dye-sensitised solar cells (DSSCs) forming nanostructured core-shell networks. The ZrO2-coated TiO2 electrodes were characterised by scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and constructing a DSSC. The characterisation concluded that core-shell morphologies were produced with varying ZrO2 shell thickness without altering the anatase TiO2 core. When a DSSC was constructed from the ZrO2:TiO2 core-shell electrode, the efficiency increased to 2.27% from 0.42% for the uncoated TiO2 electrode. As the ZrO2 shell thickness increased, the cell efficiency was reduced.
Keywordsdye-sensitised solar cells core-shell surface coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. O’Regan and M. Grätzel, Nature 353, 737 (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.C.J. Barbé, F. Arendse, P. Comte, M. Jirouske, F. Lenzmann, V. Shklover, and M. Grätzel, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 80, 3157 (1997).Google Scholar
- 3.B.A. Gregg, F. Pichot, S. Ferrere, and C.L. Fields, J. Phys. Chem. B 105, 1422 (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Xu and M. Schoonen, Am. Mineral. 85, 543 (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Chappel, S.G. Chen, and A. Zaban, Langmuir 18, 3336 (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Kay and M. Grätzel, Chem. Mater. 14, 2930 (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Palomares, J.N. Clifford, S.A. Haque., T. Lutz, and J.R. Durrant, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 125, 475 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.Z.S. Wang, C.H. Huang, Y.Y. Huang, Y.J. Hou, P.H. Xie, B.W. Zhang, and H.M. Cheng, Chem. Mater. 13, 678 (2001).Google Scholar