Effect of gamma irradiation on antiradical activity of goji berry fruits (Lycium barbarum) evaluated by EPR spectroscopy
- 10 Downloads
Antiradical activity of goji berry (Lycium barbarum) was evaluated by means of electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. The goji berry samples were exposed to gamma-irradiation at doses 0.05, 2 and 10 kGy. The characteristic satellite lines from cellulose radicals can prove irradiation treatment. Their intensity increase after alcohol washing and lyophilization. The fading property of satellite lines show that identification of radiation treatment is possible for 50 days. The effect of irradiation on antiradical properties of goji berry extracts was investigated by radical scavenging activity using the stable free radical 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH). The percentages of scavenged DPPH radicals and IC50 of the extracts of goji berry before and after irradiation were calculated. The antioxidant capacity was presented in Trolox Equivalents as well. It was found out that gamma irradiation of goji berry fruits increases its antiradical activity.
KeywordsGoji berry Gamma radiation Free radicals Antioxidant activity EPR
The authors thank the Bulgarian National Science Fund - Bulgarian Ministry of Education within the framework of Project “DN19/14″ (from 12.12. 2017) for the financial support.
- 17.Kostova D, Aleksieva K, Mehandjiev D (2012) An oxidative state of manganese in tomatoes. C R Acad Bulg Sci 65:765–770Google Scholar
- 18.Swartz HM, Bolton JR, Borg DC (1972) Biological applications of electron spin resonance. Wiley Interscience, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Raffi J, Agnel JPL (1989) Electron spin resonance identification of irradiated fruits. Radiat Phys Chem 34:891–894Google Scholar
- 21.European Standard EN 1787 (2000) Foodstuffs-detection of irradiated food containing cellulose: method by ESR spectroscopy. European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sen M, Quoc Hien N, Van Phu D, Quang Luan L, Zaman K, Abad LV, Relleve LS, Aranilla CT, Racadio CDT, De La Rosa AM, Tantat D, Mahlous M, Benamer S, Nacer Khodja A (2016) In: Al-Assaf S, Coqueret X, Dahlan KZHM, Sen M, Ulanski P (Eds.) The radiation chemistry of polysaccharides. International atomic energy agency, Vienna, pp. 257–278Google Scholar
- 23.Al-Assaf S, Gulrez SKH, Czechowska-Biskup R, Wach RA, Rosiak JM, Ulanski P (2016) In: Al-Assaf S, Coqueret X, Dahlan KZHM, Sen M, Ulanski P (Eds.) The radiation chemistry of polysaccharides. International atomic energy agency, Vienna, pp. 77–100Google Scholar