Development of a simple spectrophotometric method to estimate uranium concentration in LiCl–KCl matrix
- 33 Downloads
A fast, precise and simple spectrophotometric method was developed for the estimation of uranium in LiCl–KCl salt matrix using phosphoric acid as a complexing agent. The 421 nm absorbance peak of uranium was found to be spectral interference free and area of this peak was used for the quantitative analysis. Linearity over 100–7000 ppm with a detection limit of 25 ppm of uranium in 10% LiCl–KCl matrix was obtained by this method. The present method was successfully applied for the quantitative estimation of uranium in synthetic salt mixtures and the results were found to be more accurate than the values measured by ICP-OES.
KeywordsSpectrophotometer Uranium LiCl–KCl Phosphoric acid Quantification
The authors gratefully acknowledge the help of Mrs. S. Annapoorani, Materials Chemistry Division, IGCAR for ICP-OES analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Li SX, Johnson TA, Westphal BR, Goff KM., Bebedict RW (2005) Electrorefining experience for pyrochemical processing of spent EBR-II driver fuel. In: Proceedings of GLOBAL, p 487Google Scholar
- 10.Perumal SV, Reddy BP, Ravisankar G, Nagarajan K (2015) Actinides drawdown process for pyrochemical reprocessing of spent metal fuel. Radiochim Acta 103:287–292Google Scholar
- 26.Bagda E, Tuzen M (2016) Determination of uranium in water samples with chromogenic reagent 4-(2-thiazolylazo) resorcinol after ionic liquid based dispersive liquid liquid microextraction. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 309:453–459Google Scholar
- 27.Niazi A, Khorshidi N, Ghaemmaghami P (2015) Microwave-assisted of dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction and spectrophotometric determination of uranium after optimization based on Box–Behnken design and chemometrics methods. Spectrochim Acta Part A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 135:69–75CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Souza AS, Siqueira RP, Prates RF, Bezerra VM, Rocha DDS, Oliveira MV, Santos DB (2017) A dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction based on solidification of floating organic drop and spectrophotometric determination of uranium in breast milk after optimization using Box–Behnken design. Microchem J 134:327–332CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Runde W, Neu MP, Conradson SD, Clark DL, Palmer PD, Reilly SD, Scott BL, Tait CD (1997) Spectroscopic investigation of actinide speciation in concentrated chloride solution. Mater Res Soc Symp Proc 455:693–703Google Scholar
- 38.Beltrami D, Mercier-Bion F, Cote G, Mokhtari H, Bruno C, Simoni E, Chagnes A (2014) Investigation of the speciation of uranium(VI) in concentrated phosphoric acid and in synergistic extraction systems by time-resolved laser induced fluorescence spectroscopy (TRLFS). J Mol Liq 190:42–49CrossRefGoogle Scholar