Analysis of Th and U in thorium-based mixed-oxide fuel using wavelength dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometer
- 44 Downloads
A precise and accurate compositional characterization methodology using wavelength dispersive X-ray fluorescence (WDXRF) spectrometry for mixed oxide nuclear fuels is reported. The methodology involves pelletization of standards and samples. The calibration plots were made by plotting the percent intensity of analyte X-ray lines against their amount percent. The relative standard deviation were 0.4% and 0.25%, respectively for uranium and thorium, having U ranging from 2.85 to 4.2 (wt%). The analytical results were compared with chemical analysis method and were in good agreement. The developed WDXRF method is non-destructive, fast and better in comparison to chemical analysis methods.
KeywordsUranium Thorium Mixed oxides WDXRF Nuclear fuel
The authors sincerely thank their colleagues from CQC and AFFF for providing the samples and carrying out various analyses. The authors are also thankful to Dr. N. L. Misra, FCD, BARC for his technical guidance throughout this work.
- 3.Chaturvedi VK (2002) Nuclear power reactor scenario in India. In: Ganguli C, Jayaraj RN (eds) Characterization and quality control of nuclear fuels. Allied Publishers, New Delhi, p 27Google Scholar
- 8.Yadav RB, Gopalan B (2002) In: Ganguly C, Jayaraj RN (eds) Characterization and quality control of nuclear fuels. Allied Publishers, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 9.Godbole SV (2008) Trace metal assay of nuclear materials, chemical characterization of nuclear fuels. IANCAS Bull 7:169–179Google Scholar
- 12.Kluge E, Lieser KH (1981) Dissolution of ThO2 in HCl/HF-mixtures. Radiochim Acta 29:167–168Google Scholar
- 13.Chaudhury S, Keskar M, Patil AV, Singh Mudher KD, Venugopal V (2009) Energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence determination of thorium in phosphoric acid solutions. Radiochim Acta 94:357–361Google Scholar
- 15.Gopinath N (2008) Methodologies for the determination of thorium, uranium and plutonium in nuclear fuels, chemical characterization of nuclear fuels. IANCAS Bull 7:156–168Google Scholar
- 21.Van Grieken RE, Markowicz AA (1993) Handbook of X-ray spectrometry, 2nd edn. Marcel Dekker Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 22.Bertin EA (1984) Principle and practice of X-ray spectrometric analysis, 2nd edn. Plenum, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 31.Balakrishna P (2012) ThO2 and (U, Th)O2 processing—a review. Nat Sci 4:943–949Google Scholar