Isolation of Au and Pt radionuclides from deuteron-irradiated platinum using TBP resin
- 38 Downloads
A separation procedure was developed and implemented for the isolation of gold (Au) and platinum (Pt) radionuclides from deuteron irradiated Pt using tri-butyl phosphate (TBP) resin. Computational modeling and experimental results of the Au and Pt radionuclide production were reported and compared to literature values. Results of the separation procedure demonstrated a Pt recovery of 98 ± 2% and a Au recovery of 92 ± 7%, in their respective fractions (n = 4 ± 1σ) The decontamination factors were 2900 ± 500 for Au removal from the Pt fraction and 830 ± 30 for Pt removal from the Au fraction (n = 4 ± 1σ).
KeywordsActivation products Extraction chromatography Deuteron irradiation Platinum-191 TBP Separation science
The work was supported by the Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (DNN), U.S. Department of Energy, and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, which is operated by Battelle Memorial Institute for the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract DE-AC05–76RLO1830. We would like to acknowledge the support of Eric Smith and Joben Pedersen at CENPA for experimental coordination of the deuteron irradiation.
The manuscript was written through contributions of all authors. All authors have given approval to the final version of the manuscript.
- 3.Fan J, Lu J, Zhang L, Yu G, Huang P, Shi Q, Liu Z, Li X, Bai T (2016) Automated separation of short-lived 72Ga from fresh fission products based on tandem column chromatography. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 309(2):467–476Google Scholar
- 6.Morrison SS, Beck CL, Bowen JM, Eggemeyer TA, Hines CC, Leizers M, Metz LA, Morley SM, Restis KR, Snow MS (2017) Determination of tungsten in geochemical reference material basalt Columbia River 2 by radiochemical neutron activation analysis and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 311(1):749–754CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Dirks C, Vajda N, Kovács-Széles E, Bombard A, Happel S (2014) In characterization of a TBP resin and development of methods for the separation of actinides and the purification of Sn. Poster presented at the 17th radiochemistry conference, Marianske Lazne (Tcheque Republic), pp 11–16.Google Scholar
- 18.Baum EM, Knox HD, Miller TR (2002) Nuclides and isotopes: chart of the nuclides. KAPL, Schenectady, NYGoogle Scholar
- 27.Small H (1989) The chromatographic process. In: Ion chromatography. Springer, Boston, MA, pp 11–39. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-2542-8_2